Easter Memories

Old 04-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Banned

What is your favorite Easter memory, tradition (past or new), or way of celebration?

My fondest memory --- growing up my Dad would always buy my Mom, her mom and his mom a tulip plant for the garden. When I reached 16 he brought me my very own tulip plant! (My Dad died when I was 24 in 1979). I miss him.
Years later, during a time of being on my own, a neighbor and good friend (male) came to my house with a tulip plant at Easter. I cried. He had no idea about my father's tradition which made it even more special.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:03 PM

Every year, my Mom and Dad made sure I would have a new Easter hat. When I look back and realize how tough thing were financially sometimes, I know just how much they had to do without to do it. I will always remember and be greatful for it.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Power Poster

We use to go to my Busias (grandma) house and she would have hidden the Easter baskets and the older we got , the harder they were to find . We got hints such as hot or cold :wink:
Old 04-03-2010, 05:15 PM

My fond memories of Easter was getting new shoes and a new dress to wear to church on Easter Sunday. After lunch we would have an Easter egg hunt at the home of one of my friends. I am blessed to have had a strong Christian heritage through my parents.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:24 PM

I remember when I was eight...I was sooo excited about getting a new dress, hat, gloves and shoes for Easter. I could hardly wait to wear them to church..I woke up in the morning and went to find my basket. Ev eryone looked at me and gasped. I was covered with chicken pox and the Easter outfit couldnt be worn for two more weeks lol. It is sort of a "bittersweet" memory.

Margie
Old 04-03-2010, 05:35 PM

Mine is bittersweet too. My parents separated during lent and we went to live with my grandmother. we were thrilled about it. My grandma got us new dresses and we were ready for a great Easter at our grandma's house. My father lived nearby and asked my sister to come and share her Easter sweets with the kids of the woman he was now living with. My sister wouldn't have any of that and she ate everything in her basket on one sitting. She got so sick our Easter ended at the hospital with her. To this day is our favorite Easter story. She doesn't share that opinion.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:49 PM

The year we couldn't find two of the eggs. My dad had put them in light sockets and forgotten about them. Found them several days later. Gross.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:04 PM

I have always loved Easter colors, Easter decorations, The Easter Story. But I honestly can't remember any memories as a kid! My mother didn't like any fuss, and didn't make special treats. My grandpa would often bring me a big bag of eggs, hard colored sugar stuff on the outside, and the inside was a soft creamy fondant. I don't think they even make them anymore!
Old 04-03-2010, 06:22 PM
DJ

My contribution is a tradition. We go to the Maundy Thursday and Good Friday services at our church. I've come to realize over the years that it's hard for me to imagine celebrating the resurrection without experiencing the "walk" through Holy Week.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:37 PM

I remember always getting new clothes from skin out, undies, dress, socks, etc. Then my mom would hide little presents around the house rather than in a basket. I would always get an egg that was made of sugar, was hollow, with a hole (window) in one end, you put it up to your eye and it had a little scene in side with ducks, chicks, etc. made of sugar. Don't know if they have them any more. Sure miss my mum.

My dad passed when I was 13, but until then, he always got my mum and I corsages for Easter. Mum always made us matching dresses until I got older.