Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Technical Question for Antique Red & Green Quilt Top "Fix" >

Technical Question for Antique Red & Green Quilt Top "Fix"

Technical Question for Antique Red & Green Quilt Top "Fix"

Old 04-07-2010, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by mom-6
Had you thought of laying out the slightly curved blocks on the sashing and attaching them as you would applique so that they lie flat? I'm thinking of doing something similar on one of my older UFO's that has major problems with inconsistent block shape and size.
great idea
Old 04-07-2010, 12:41 PM

Applique sounds like a great idea. I hope we get to see the finished quilt!
Old 04-07-2010, 04:17 PM

Here is a thought or two.....

Sew the lattice back to the block with a gentle concave arc to match the convex arc of the block sides. You can still do this by machine and I think it would be more in preservation of the original design. (I do wish I could see what the original quilt looked like as far as the layout goes, perhaps you can find another image like it?) I do not think the sewing will be too much of a challenge compared to the deeper arcs of say Robbing Peter to Pay Paul or Lemon Peel blocks. In the end the lattices will be slightly concave, but the rows should lay flat.
Practice first...
Start with a piece of mylar/template plastic and draw the outline of the blocks arc. then add seam allowance to the inside of the arc. this should be the cutting line of the edge of the striped lattice work. Don't cut it however until you have tried the idea out and know you want to follow through with it! In fact, i'd use a piece of scrap fabric to try it out. Just make a stripe lattice the same size as the ones you have and a solid muslin or denim the size of your blocks, play with them and see if the technique is to your liking. If not, no harm done!

Good Luck! Cathy vJ in MA
Old 04-07-2010, 04:41 PM

Open the download to see the illustration. I would use a square block that is 2 inches larger than what you have. Round the edges of your star block so they match or cut out more of the set together white, Turn edges under or edge with a tight stitch zig zag or decorative embroidery stitch. If the edges are turned under, then applique by hand. If you want the edges zig zaged on the machine, place your block on the larger square and applique with machine. If you have a wide enough and close enough zig zag, no need to turn edges under. I used the zig zag method with the sunbonnet sue in the middle of the down loaded quilt for my granddaughter.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-48477.jpe  
Old 04-08-2010, 12:20 AM
Banned

those are beautiful. Penny
Old 04-08-2010, 05:03 AM

I have never heard of your lattice method. Please explain.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:27 AM

I , so respect, your desire to preserve an old quilt. I think it will really be lovely when you get it repaired and put back together.To many times people just throw away things like that.I also, would love to see the finished quilt when you get it back together.I found some old sun-bonnet sue blocks that my mother made back in the 50's. She had saved them but hadn't done anything with them.I took them and made a small quilt for my first child.That child will be 46, next fall but neve once questined why his quilt had pictures of girls on it.I think he loved it more becaue his grandmother had made them.Yes, please preserve old quilts.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:50 AM

With my luck I wouldn't be able to find a matching shade of muslin on the planet. I thought I might try a kona of lighter or darker green or ditto for lighter and darker red. "Ever heard or seen shadow quilting?" I saw it a while back by one of the Wells (mother or daughter I can't remember). You lay out a background fabric, set the elements, set the elements on top, lay a sheer fabric on top and then quilt around the elements (pattern or little cut outs or blocks) and that's all I remember. I guess you finish it like a normal quilt.

I think this would preserve your quilt, mute differences between the old muslin and the new muslin and let you isnore any differences in shapes of old blocks.

Books on shadow quilting are still in print, even buy used on Amazon. Or just check some of the internet sites.

Jois
Old 04-08-2010, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by ktbb
I like your idea of appliqueing them to a square of muslin or other complementary fabric..based on what you show in your photo, they all seem to be consistently rounded and that would add to the enjoyment of the final product....
I am new to quilting and I also think that appliqueing them to a square is an excellent idea! Good Luck.

Sharon
Old 04-08-2010, 11:10 AM

if you applique it looks like you'll lose the points. i don't see a way around that.

what if you applique onto turkey red? it would make make the sashing look like it curves to meet the blocks. just a thought.

my other thought is that if you go with the muslin, why not leave it on underneath for added strength? can't hurt.