Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Star Block Patterns and a Few Other Ideas >

Star Block Patterns and a Few Other Ideas

Star Block Patterns and a Few Other Ideas

Old 04-11-2010, 04:56 PM

Yes, I definitely think your patterns would sell! I agree with your daughter - go for it!!!!! Let us know here on the Board when you get your website up and running! Will be looking forward to that! Good luck!
Old 04-11-2010, 07:24 PM

I love your ideas too!! I am going to be making a quilt for my daughter who lives in Ohio, and thought I'd like to use your Ohio Stars. Since you are going to be selling your patterns, do you want me to buy them, rather than use the ones you posted?
Old 04-11-2010, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard
I love your ideas too!! I am going to be making a quilt for my daughter who lives in Ohio, and thought I'd like to use your Ohio Stars. Since you are going to be selling your patterns, do you want me to buy them, rather than use the ones you posted?
Hi wildyard. Thank you! No, anyone can use the ones that I posted. But next time I make a pattern like my Carpenter's Star or something, I'm going to try to sell it. Wish me luck!
I'm really glad you love my ideas. I really appreciate it when I know that people like my ideas and patterns. Enjoy the patterns.

Marilyn
Old 04-11-2010, 08:15 PM

Tell us all, lol, we want to know too!!! About the points on the stars, that is.
Hi wildyard! I'm not sure that this will help alot, but this is what I have told others.

When I make my stars I try to keep all my points too. First of all, make sure that you sew a steady 1/4" seam so that when the block is made, you have your 1/4" seam allowance from the points. I've had to rip out some seams and re-sew them to get them right.

Then when I am sewing the blocks together, I put a pin through the point (back to front of material) then match it to the point on the front of the other star, (front to back) so the right sides are together. Then, leaving the pin in place and level,
not tipped up or down or sideways, which would make it off when you sew it, put another pin in about 1/8" to the right of the original pin to hold together for sewing. Then you can remove the first pin. When sewing, sew just past the star points before you remove the "holding" pin, so they can't move
before they are sewn.

You can also as I sometimes do, after pinning the pieces together, tack the points together with needle and thread. Then you can look at it and make sure the points are still there before sewing.

I hope this helps.

Marilyn
Old 04-11-2010, 09:00 PM

When sewing, sew just past the star points before you remove the "holding" pin, so they can't move before they are sewn. Quote.

Thanks, I find your explanation very clear and helpful!! When I get to that part of my "to do" list, I will know just how to do it. Smiles.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:28 PM

When sewing, sew just past the star points before you remove the "holding" pin, so they can't move before they are sewn. Quote.

Thanks, I find your explanation very clear and helpful!! When I get to that part of my "to do" list, I will know just how to do it. Smiles.
Hi wildyard! I'm so glad that this helps. I wasn't sure if it would or if this is what everyone does already. LOL I'm still new at quilting and sometimes it shows.....alot.
Marilyn
Old 04-12-2010, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by danmar
Hi everybody! I have had a request to put my Star Block drawings on here, so here they are. There are a few other blocks mixed in to. Hope you like these ideas. Some came from Quilter's Cache, some from magazines, and I made a few.

The first 6 are done on a "Planning Pad" that I got at Wal Mart. I like to use it better than the regular Grid/graft paper, as the lines are plenty dark enough to see, (darker than they look in these pictures), but not so dark like in the last 2 pictures. On them I used grid paper that I used when I was still doing Cross Stitch and Plastic Canvas. I made alot of my own patterns then too.

Enjoy!
Marilyn
Wow! I don't have the patience to do that and applaud you. I used to use graph paper alot but now I use patterns from magazines and the only time the graph paper comes out is if I need to make a part, pattern, or template that won't fit initially. Do you use EQ6? I'm sure you've mentioned it but don't remember who does what here. The ladies in my guild are getting into EQ6 and my husband has been encouraging me to look into it but I don't know how much I'd use it. If so, do you have windows 7 and does it work with windows 7? I'm within a year count down to a new computer but want to make sure the software I want to use will work with windows 7. If so, which version of 7 do you have? Guess I should just do a search of the board and see what's been posted as my questions have probably already been answered there huh. LOL. Thank you Marilyn. I'm in awe of your creativity. You do stunning work!
Old 04-12-2010, 05:15 AM

I have a friend who does these little drawings, well not so little. She buys the fabric she wants to use plus extra. With the extra she hand draws the blocks she plans to use and then cuts and pastes the pieces into different areas of the block until she finds the layout she really likes and then that's the one she uses. She put a month into doing this with a quilt that she is now currently working on and it will be stunning if/when she ever finishes it. She tends to have a lot of UFO's for some reason. She's a perfectionist and if the least little thing goes wrong, that's the end of the project. The shame is that she'll get them half way or further along and then put it away but she loves working on it while she works on it. In the few years I've known her, she has started many projects but never completed one; not a one.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by grammypatty7
Originally Posted by danmar
Hi everybody! I have had a request to put my Star Block drawings on here, so here they are. There are a few other blocks mixed in to. Hope you like these ideas. Some came from Quilter's Cache, some from magazines, and I made a few.

The first 6 are done on a "Planning Pad" that I got at Wal Mart. I like to use it better than the regular Grid/graft paper, as the lines are plenty dark enough to see, (darker than they look in these pictures), but not so dark like in the last 2 pictures. On them I used grid paper that I used when I was still doing Cross Stitch and Plastic Canvas. I made alot of my own patterns then too.

Enjoy!
Marilyn
Wow! I don't have the patience to do that and applaud you. I used to use graph paper alot but now I use patterns from magazines and the only time the graph paper comes out is if I need to make a part, pattern, or template that won't fit initially. Do you use EQ6? I'm sure you've mentioned it but don't remember who does what here. The ladies in my guild are getting into EQ6 and my husband has been encouraging me to look into it but I don't know how much I'd use it. If so, do you have windows 7 and does it work with windows 7? I'm within a year count down to a new computer but want to make sure the software I want to use will work with windows 7. If so, which version of 7 do you have? Guess I should just do a search of the board and see what's been posted as my questions have probably already been answered there huh. LOL. Thank you Marilyn. I'm in awe of your creativity. You do stunning work!
Hi Grammy Patty! Thank you! Yes, I have EQ6. I have been so busy working on my "Experimental Bargello" though, that I haven't messed much with it lately. Yes, I have Windows 7 and it works great! Thanks again for your compliments and your interest in my posts.

Marilyn
Old 04-12-2010, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

Thank you!!! :D:D:D