Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 09-29-2011, 05:36 PM

Thanks Gang!! I should have another post on my blog tonight...it's gonna go together!! WOOHOO!!!! :)
Old 09-29-2011, 05:37 PM

Hope I'm in the right place here asking about this ...

I posted here http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-156856-1.htm about a New Home 534 in a desk that I picked up at Goodwill a few years ago and have used as an end table in my living room ever since. I've oiled it and have the tension adjusted. However, the knee control pedal keeps catching, so I took it off to look at it.

A couple of questions
1. Can I use this same pedal on the floor or does it need a bottom to go on the floor?
2. Are replacement pedals available?
3. Could an electrician fix this? I'll see if I can get ahold of my normal repair guy at the quilt store, but would a vacuum/sewing shop be better?

As you can see, one of the springs is missing. It's actually there, just not in place, and so is the hook. However, the copper colored thing that holds the hook in place is broken.

When I pushed on the pedal, the thing that slides across the copper things gets stuck on the first (technically 2nd) - I'm assuming that's because the first one is missing.

So can anyone advise me on my options?

spring not in place, copper "thing" broken
[ATTACH=CONFIG]264304[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-264251.jpe  
Old 09-29-2011, 06:02 PM

Buy a replacement control? They're easy to find... I wouldn't use that one on the floor as it's made to be a knee control. Or at least fabricate a backing for it. Dangerous to use not in a table, otherwise. And odds are the cord isn't long enough. Try ebay, I've bought a few there when I took my machines out of tables and made them portable.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
O.K....is this a 99 with a Godzilla finish? If not, what is it? What would you pay?
Candace,

Cute machine! Looks to be a Singer 99 with the Godzilla finish.
No more than $100.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:16 PM

Buy a replacement control? They're easy to find... I wouldn't use that one on the floor as it's made to be a knee control. Or at least fabricate a backing for it. Dangerous to use not in a table, otherwise. And odds are the cord isn't long enough. Try ebay, I've bought a few there when I took my machines out of tables and made them portable.
I figured as much. I'd much rather use a foot pedal than a knee control. But if this is fixable, I'll put it back and see if having a working knee control pedal works okay for me. My main issues may be with the missing spring and not with it being a knee control. Thanks!
Old 09-29-2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by qbquilts
I figured as much. I'd much rather use a foot pedal than a knee control. But if this is fixable, I'll put it back and see if having a working knee control pedal works okay for me. My main issues may be with the missing spring and not with it being a knee control. Thanks!
Knee controls are pretty easy to find also. I have two myself that are languishing in a drawer awaiting something I'm sure(hehe). I'm sure there are some on ebay.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
O.K....is this a 99 with a Godzilla finish? If not, what is it? What would you pay?
Candace,

No more than $100.

Does the motor look original and since I already own a 185, wouldn't this be overkill? I am looking for a case for my 319W and maybe this one would work??
Old 09-29-2011, 06:56 PM

Candace,

No more than $100.

Does the motor look original and since I already own a 185, wouldn't this be overkill? I am looking for a case for my 319W and maybe this one would work??
Can see the motor, but the cord looks somewhat new. Can tell how the foot pedal looks or its cord. I have no idea if this case will work with your 319W. Aren't the Singer 319W longer beds than the Singer 99?
Old 09-29-2011, 06:59 PM

Speaking of filling up basements - has anyone heard from Miz Johnny lately?? I know she went back to work when school started (I think she's a teacher - I keyed in on that since DH is also)but haven't noticed her on recently. Is she OK?

Cindy Lou Who
Old 09-29-2011, 07:03 PM

Candace,

No more than $100.

Can see the motor, but the cord looks somewhat new. Can tell how the foot pedal looks or its cord. I have no idea if this case will work with your 319W. Aren't the Singer 319W longer beds than the Singer 99?
Yeah, you're right, it won't work:<