Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 08-24-2012, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Miriam,

I'm glad that Sew More 606 is as nice as I thought it would be. I'll get one for my collection some day.
I have several of that type of machine. Tension in the front, bobbin being an end loading vertical type.
Those I have, (I'd have to look at them to be sure which ones they are) are some of the quietest running and nicest sewing machines I have. Much quieter than any of the Singers from the same time frame.

As an aside there is two different types of the clones that are like you posted.
The one we are talking about that uses the end loading bobbin and the other that uses a front loading bobbin.
Both are vertical bobbins, but the end loading machines have the bobbin move with the needle as it ZZs. The front loading machines use a stationary bobbin and the bobbin case has a very wide slot in it for the needle to move in as it ZZs.

They are both excellent machines.

Joe
The ones in the pics are straight stitch type of clone.
Yes there are a few differences in the zzers too.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:08 AM

I know this is a long shot and the machine isn't vintage, but I just bought and repaired a Pfaff 1471 that needs a couple of parts to be pristine. Does anyone have a donor/dead 1471 or that series of machine that they'd sell me a few parts from? Yahoo groups are having lots of problems with posting but I'll also try the request on a few of the groups there when Yahoo is behaving.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
The ones in the pics are straight stitch type of clone.
Yes there are a few differences in the zzers too.
Sometimes it's really hard to catch the SSers from the ZZers at first glance. I missed that. All our squarish machines are ZZers. I don't have one that's a SS ... yet.

Joe
Old 08-24-2012, 11:49 AM

Miriam, Besides Ms. Miriam(Yellow brother), I have the pink Atlas pair that are made by Brother, that are SS, front tension, 15 bobbin; also, the Sewmor 606 I have is like that. And the various ZZ's I have are about split down the middle on front or side load..maybe something to do with if they are oscilitating or rotating hook systems. I have no clue, but the Japanese machines, to me, are quieter and sew better than the singer counterparts that I have.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:06 PM

I got a different kind of button hole attachment today. It is one made for a New Home machine, I think. It was made in West Germany in 1962, from what I can figure. The box has 'the New Home Sewing Machine Company "Since 1860" on one end of the box. On the booklet inside, it has 'our 102 nd year', which gives me the 1962 dating. The booklet says 'Busy Susan line of parts and accessories' and a LA address on it. The only thing I can find on the net concerning something like this is:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...ment-148637203

It is a neat looking little buttonhole attachment that works without cams and templates. Has anyone else seen one of these? I haven't tried it out yet. Any idea of what it is worth? Thanks.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:12 PM

Ahh i so.want that yellow brother!!!!!cant find one anywhere!
Old 08-24-2012, 02:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Janis View Post
I got a different kind of button hole attachment today. It is one made for a New Home machine, I think. It was made in West Germany in 1962, from what I can figure. The box has 'the New Home Sewing Machine Company "Since 1860" on one end of the box. On the booklet inside, it has 'our 102 nd year', which gives me the 1962 dating. The booklet says 'Busy Susan line of parts and accessories' and a LA address on it. The only thing I can find on the net concerning something like this is:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...ment-148637203

It is a neat looking little buttonhole attachment that works without cams and templates. Has anyone else seen one of these? I haven't tried it out yet. Any idea of what it is worth? Thanks.
Singer made a button hole maker sort of like that. I have a huge one - must be industrial... I should dig it out and shoot a pic.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee View Post
Yep...it looks like a decal to me. In this picture, the Bruce decal covers the original Davis decal... I found this on a genealogy forum, it's an answer about the Bruce Sewing machine company by a descendant:

Bonnie Bruce Baker wrote at 2007-06-04 23:44:59
I am Bonnie Bruce Baker. I was born and raised in Springfield, Illinois. My great grandfather, Cicero C. Bruce began selling sewing machines in the Virginia area after being released from the Confederacy. My grandfather was born in 1866 and, when old enough, helped his father. Eventually they put thir own name on the sewing machines, selling them under the Bruce label. In 1899 they left Roane County in TN and moved to Springfield, IL where The Bruce Co. was begun. My father continued the tradition but dropped sewing machines about the time televisions became popular. Pianos, organs and appliances were also sold. My father died in 1981 and also The Bruce Co. I would greatly enjoy hearing from any owners of Bruce Sewing Machines.
Charlee that is interesting. They must of put the Bruce decal over the Davis decal - I mean that makes sense since Bruce SMC didn't actually make machines. I guess in 1919, they didn't have the stick on tags like we have now a days! I wonder how many other brands are running around with Bruce SMC on the machine? I have never doubted that this machine is a Davis, but I did wonder where it was manufactured! That part was confusing!

Thank you for the research. Very interesting stuff!

Nancy

Last edited by BoJangles; 08-24-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif View Post
Nancy, All the Davis NVF that I have seen are designed and come with that second pressure lever and the back tack or reverse. If the machine doesn't have those items, then someone has removed them.

Follow the Davis yahoo groups's excellent directions on cleaning up the machine behind the plate. That makes a huge difference in the quality of the stitch and using the back tack. I have found that when the shuttle bobbin is too full or when getting to the end the stitching will not always be pretty (mainly at the end), a clue that I'm at the end of my bobbin.

Charlee, That is interesting findings. Thanks for sharing with us!
Geeze, you guys never told me about the pressure release knob nor the back tack on the NVF Davis machines! I'd of looked a little more seriously for a NVF if I had known. I was watching the ad for this machine for a couple months! The original Vertical Feed's did not have those accessaries! I still love my old Davis, but I am excited to try the new Davis. I just got it all cleaned up and oiled today! Hopefully, in the next few days I will switch the heads out and try the new Davis in my treadle cabinet!

Nancy
Old 08-24-2012, 02:34 PM

Oh Glenn, Where's the picture of your Two Spools? Did it come with cabinet? You came back with some very interesting machines and cabinets from your trip to Miriam's.