Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Severe Storms and Tornadoes are Here Tonite!! >

Severe Storms and Tornadoes are Here Tonite!!

Severe Storms and Tornadoes are Here Tonite!!

Old 05-06-2010, 07:39 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Be safe out there Billy. We are expecting more storms on Mon, Tues and Wed.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:07 AM

I am so sad to here that there have been deaths because of this terrible storm. Her in Spain we have not heard a word about all of this horrible weather you have been having.

Stay safe and donīt take risks.

Elle
Old 05-06-2010, 02:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Be safe out there Billy. We are expecting more storms on Mon, Tues and Wed.
I had a glitch in the trip I was fixing to take off when the guy called and asked where I was. I told him that I was fixing to head his way and he said that he had something come up and would not be at his shop but his youngest son would be there if I called and told him when I was getting off the interstate he would meet me there.

So I told him we would just wait till tomorrow and I will be there in the morning.

Oh I did find out from my Nephew that the little Baptist church at the end of his street in Linden TN was swept off of its foundation. And that there were all kinds of bridges and driveways wiped out by the rains. The Perry county schools are closed for the rest of the school year because 7 of the 10 buses were swept away and wrecked by the storms and a lot of the areas the buses travel are still under water.

Major damage in that county but fortunately my house and land was not hurt. Although I can not get to it right now but my neighbor three miles down checked it out for me when he went to look at his place.

Billy
Old 05-06-2010, 02:35 PM

Glad to hear your house made it through Billy. So sorry to hear about your neighbor's family!! Scary stuff!!! We don't have television so have not seen pictures of all the flooding except what is in the papers, which isn't much.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Well in a way that is good news for you, but not for others.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Banned

I went to Nashville today and then to middle TN and I can not describe the overwhelming things that I saw. I never made it all the way into Nashville but you can see where the water was and still is where I drove around the area. But when I made it to Linden TN it was really hard to describe what I saw and how much was destroyed.

I was able to see first hand the destruction and the photos that my nephew took were amazing. The creek behind his home was responsible for wiping a church out and an untold amount of homes in the immediate area. It looked like an ocean all around there from the photos that were taken.

The Buffalo River was what took me back. It is just down the road a bit from their home and when I drove down a road that runs beside it you could see where the water line was about 25' to 30' above the road. The river was about 20' below the road I was on. It was really spooky seeing the trees and leaves covered with brown silt and then they were green above where the water was.

Homes washed away, cattle, animals you name it were displaced and a lot of them drowned. The roads were washed away and were back filled with sand and gravel so you could drive across them. When we were driving back across the bridge there was a horse floating in the river drifting away.

I do not know how these folks are making it. While I was at my nephews house a call came in from the county letting them know that bottled water was available for everyone in the county and gave the locations to go pick it up.

I tried to get to my place and there was no way of getting there because several bridges were washed out and the other route was under water.

We stopped in Jackson on the way home and ate at the Casey Jones Restaurant and I ran into a group of disaster relief workers for the Red Cross and was talking with them. They said that they were in Nashville and that it was pretty bad but because of the publicity it was getting they had more than plenty of folks to help in that area but they were being sent to middle TN because of the severity of the damage and loss of life.

I made sure that they knew I was really appreciative of all of their hard work and told them that if it were not for them and everyone who has pitched in we would really be in a pickle. Several of the workers said that they were really impressed with the folks in Tennessee and the fact that so many people were willing to open their homes and help others. He said even though this was a horrible thing that had happened he has never seen a community pull together like this. To me that really means something!!

Billy
Old 05-08-2010, 05:39 AM

Thanks for the update, Billy. I was here in St. Louis when we had the big flood in '94. People really do pull together when something like this happens. Wish we could just be that helping ALL the time, just like the wonderful people on this forum.