Singer 306

Old 05-23-2010, 04:21 PM

Has anyone ever used a Singer 306? I have given up on a
featherwieght, but I heard the 306 is a real work horse. It will sew through anything. I would like to hear some opinions before I buy.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:06 PM

I have one of these beauties. I bought it at a thrift store for $59 a few years ago. It didn't come with any acessories and I had to order needles online. The 306 and 319 use different needles than othe Singer machines. Parts and needles are not hard to find online but don't expect to find them at JoAnn's. The 306 is probably the strongest sewing machine I have and I like it alot. I don't use it much though, for piecing and binding I prefer my featherweights, 301 and 501s. These others just appeal to me more for everyday use. The 306 is definatly a workhorse!
Old 05-24-2010, 06:19 AM
Banned

I like the looks of the 306W and its like a heavy duty type of machine that incorporated part of its lineage from the industrial side of the company. The 319 was the same way, but with more gadgets and levers.

Very good machines to own and even if I do have an aversion to electric machines I would like to pick one up to add to the ever growing collection around here.

I also know a cute Canadian that just had a little one on this board that has a 306 that is Black and a little water logged. I figured she would have been by the Shop and showed off her vintage machines by now but she has sorta has her hands full with the cutest turbo tot. ;) ;)

Billy
Old 05-27-2010, 11:46 AM
Google Goddess

how many sewing machines you have in your collection now??

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I like the looks of the 306W and its like a heavy duty type of machine that incorporated part of its lineage from the industrial side of the company. The 319 was the same way, but with more gadgets and levers.

Very good machines to own and even if I do have an aversion to electric machines I would like to pick one up to add to the ever growing collection around here.

I also know a cute Canadian that just had a little one on this board that has a 306 that is Black and a little water logged. I figured she would have been by the Shop and showed off her vintage machines by now but she has sorta has her hands full with the cutest turbo tot. ;) ;)

Billy
Old 05-27-2010, 11:53 AM

I found this machine at Goodwill for $9.99. It came with everything in the picture. It says 306W on it. It seems to be in excellent condition and came with the manual. I could not resist it when I saw it. OOPS! Ignore the date on the pics. When I took them, I had to put in new batteries and forgot to fix the date.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-74393.jpe   attachment-74394.jpe   attachment-74395.jpe  
Old 05-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by craftybear
how many sewing machines you have in your collection now??
Good question but I have no idea........It is not super huge by no means I guess I will go and start counting. ;-)

Billy
Old 05-31-2010, 08:37 PM

I think the only bad thing about a 306 is finding the correct
needles, but they are available. it sews like a dream. clean that baby up with non-abrasive GoJo. what a buy !
Old 06-01-2010, 04:18 AM
Power Poster

Wow, Sherri, thats a cute machine, ya LUCKY DUCK!
Old 08-10-2013, 09:48 AM

I just saw this post while looking to find a replacement manual for my machine. Don't know what you decided as the post is 3 years old but here how I feel about the 306. I have been using my 306W since I learned to sew 42 years ago, my mother bought it new on time payments from the Dept. Store before I was born. I use Schmetz needles in mine, she is okay with them, but since all sewing machines have their own personality, other machines may not like them. I once took a tailoring class with someone that had a 306W that absolutely would not work unless she bought the singer needles only. I have sewed everything from tissue thin silk to heavy coating wool and garment leather on this machine and I would not trade her for the most expensive, top of the line computerized sewing machines of today. Yes they are noisier, because their parts are metal and not the plastic junk "modern" machines are made of. These babies were built to last! In the eighties i was doing a lot of costuming and purchased a simple basic Kenmore because it had a free-arm which is easier for doing sleeves than the flat bed of my workhorse 306W and I had to take it in for service 3 times in the first year because the parts were plastic and kept "wearing out". I much prefer the older workhorses than the new machines, the new ones are built to be replaced every few years even though the top models are horrendously expensive.