Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
free motion quilting >

free motion quilting

free motion quilting

Old 03-12-2008, 11:13 AM

When I first started to freemotion quilt it was awful. I thought that I would never get the hang of it. But with practice and lots of it I think it's passable now. The big problem I have is that when I have got a rhythm going I tend to relax and loose tight concentration and then the machine starts to go faster and my stitches get smaller and more uneven. I think the key is concentration and relaxation along with smooth even movement. My quilt also use to catch on the edge of the table or cabinet or whatever surface I was working on. My husband fashioned a large extension table and put some long pieces of pcv pipe over it so my quilt just rolls over it and doesn't catch anymore. My advice is to keep at it and use every tool and piece of advice at your disposal and you will eventually become a pro or at least as good as you want to become. Oh ya and a darning/quilting foot, the kind with the spring on it, helps a lot. :P
Old 03-12-2008, 11:27 AM

Mistakes aren't a problem, it's remembering if you made one or for that matter remembering if you started your sewing machine.
Now did I thread the machine? Hmmm can't remember.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:07 AM

I was told to use only thread that is expensive and comes on those horrible spendals that dont work on a normal machine without some sort of attachment.
After many trys at using this stuff, I went back to coats and clarks all purpose thread and now I no longer have any trouble with breaking or loops.
I have quilted several lap quilts and have had no problems with thread.
My sewing is terrible, havent gotten the hang of it yet but practice makes perfect or so they say.
For sewing in the ditch on binding, I cant do without the stich in the ditch foot, no wandering off like with the walking foot.
I like that idea of pvc pipe, my quilts are always catching on the edge of my plastic table. Yes, the darning foot is the best.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:03 PM

even with a bernina you cannot always escape loops and bottom thread coming up to the top ,the stitch regulater machine is great but so is the money you pay out for it,just go slow and keep checking and have a light weight thread in the bottom and pray
Old 02-12-2010, 02:48 PM

I am also a beginner at machine quilting. I am gettiing ready to try a real quilt (not just practice) My question is about setting the stitch length, does it matter where it is set?
Old 02-16-2010, 10:11 AM

I keep mine at regular setting and then just try to keep stitches even
Old 06-15-2011, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Whitney
Hi girls! I just wandered onto this site looking for info. about a ruffler foot for my Singer Ingenuity. I purchased one at JoAnn Fabrics yesterday. I am having trouble getting it on my machine. I'm wondering if it's the right one. It does not go on easily and it came with NO directions. I looked on the Singer site and it somewhat explains how to put it on; however it's not lining up correctly. Can anyone help? I know it's difficult without seeing but any info. would be appreciated. Thanks!
The little C-shaped mouth looking piece must fit over the needle bar while the attachment screws onto the presser bar with the thumb screw. You may have to completely remove the screw to fit it in place. When the needle bar goes up and down, it pushes the fabric under the needle forming a pleat. Love mine. Hope this helps.