Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My new projects (I have to tell or I'll burst!!!) >

My new projects (I have to tell or I'll burst!!!)

My new projects (I have to tell or I'll burst!!!)

Old 02-02-2007, 03:55 PM

Hello all!

I just wanted to let you know I have the ironing boards finished. I have enough material left over to give to the girls to make potholders or whatever with. I had to add some towels and staples to make things padded enough and look just so, they did come out nice.

Melissa
Old 02-02-2007, 05:45 PM

Melissa, That's wonderful. You go, girl. Isn't it just the neatest to get an idea like that & bring it to completion? Keep em coming! Betty 8)
Old 02-08-2007, 06:23 AM

Hey Melissa, that's great!! How 'bout a picture???
Old 02-08-2007, 02:15 PM

Well, gave the ironing board to the girls today. They seemed pleased. Forgot the extra ironing board material I was planning on giving them, but I'll take it next week. Hubby says I can buy a new camera in the next few weeks. When I get it, I'll take a picture. It's not fancy or anything, but it will serve it's purpose.

Melissa
Old 02-08-2007, 03:39 PM

That's what counts. If it were to pretty no one would want to use it. Bet it's just right! Good work!!
Old 02-15-2007, 08:46 AM

I'm confused I think you intend to attach the Ironing board to a wall? and then cover it with Teflon fabric? then make a quilted cover to go over that? Are you seeking Ideas on the outer cover design? I think signature blocks would personalize it and give it historical value.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:32 AM

Susan,

I will not attach these ironing boards to anything. They sit on the table while I work. I set up my machine on one part of the table, cutting mat and ruler on another, and the ironing board just fits.

I was simply sharing about the boards I had made. One for me, and one for a club I belong to that quilts (among other things) for local charity. I took two pieces of wood that were 37 x 24 x 2 and wrapped towels around them for padding and stapled them in place. Then I made a pillow case out of that teflon type material they sell at Hancocks. Slid that over it, stapled it down and it's a usable, easily stored ironing board. None of my friends have to mess with the old one getting it up and down and stuff like that. It worked out nice.

Melissa
Old 03-20-2007, 08:13 PM
joy

Hi Mimisharon, you say that you have made many cot quilts - do you mind telling me what patterns you used please... I have a couple to make and need some ideas... thank you....
Old 03-20-2007, 09:30 PM

I saw a pattern in the latest Connecting Threads catalog for an ironing board cover to fit onto a wooden tv tray - I think that would be pretty easy to figure out on our own! And it would be easy to fold up out of the way too....

sue
Old 03-21-2007, 01:52 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by joy
Hi Mimisharon, you say that you have made many cot quilts - do you mind telling me what patterns you used please... I have a couple to make and need some ideas... thank you....
sharon won't be here for a while, i think. she's tending to a family emergency and might not even be able to think about quilting or the computer right now.

i can't be 100% sure what her answer would be, but i'm sure you could use any pattern you wanted, but make sure it's no wider than a twin blanket. if you want it to serve as a blanket, it should be about 7 feet long - which makes 5 feet a good a good width. at that size, it will probably hit the ground on both sides, depending on the style of cot, but will be perfect for almost any soldier of any height to wrap up in on a cold night. make it from durable fabric that can take the punishment of frequent washing. choose colors and prints that can "disguise" a few stains here and there. white and pastels are probably not a good idea.

Log Cabins and pineapples are great for quilts like this. they go together quickly. you can make the blocks any size you want. they look good not matter which style of quilting or tying you use. you don't have to fiddle and fuss with a lot of complicated measuring and cutting for the pieces. the only piece you need to measure at all is the first piece. and they're great for using up scraps.

you probably already know how to throw together a log cabin block, but for those who've never tried it, i've attached a few files to go by.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Attachment-22851.pdf (7.9 KB, 105 views)
File Type: pdf
Attachment-39272.pdf (11.9 KB, 116 views)