Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
11 year old wants to quilt!! >

11 year old wants to quilt!!

11 year old wants to quilt!!

Old 06-22-2010, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by brookemarie19
Ok girls, I asked my daughter what she wanted for her birthday thats coming up and she says "I want to be able to buy fabric that I like and you teach me how to make a quilt" :D I am so excited and ready to just leap right in, but I do have one question that I figured you gals would be able to help with. What is a newbies quilt pattern that doesn't look "too easy" She doesn't really seem interested in the charm quilts, so I would need something else. Thanks to all who can share this excitement with me and others who can help me with a pattern.
How about a Rail Fence quilt. It goes together easily so it is a good first project but still is an interesting quilt with carefully chosen fabrics. :-D
Old 06-22-2010, 08:39 AM

That's really cool!! I hope you have a wonderful time teaching her this great skill!!

I have 3 daughters, 23-28, so far none of them want to learn!!
Old 06-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Kas

I think a nine patch is a great idea, too. It is easy, yet can look more complicated depending on the colors you choose. My 8yr old started hand piecing a crazy log cabin. She has lost interest at the moment, but for a while she was goading me. "Mom, I have been working on my quilt everyday. You haven't."
Old 06-22-2010, 04:15 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

Firstly how lovely that your daughter wants to sew..What about paperpiecing..you just follow lines which would be great for a beginner. Just try different blocks and techniques until you find something she likes to do, after all we can all use more potholders!
Old 06-22-2010, 04:40 PM

My DGD started at 4 and 5 making the HST then she went to doing some strips. She moved away right after making her first quilt. But she still ask me when we will get to quilt again. out of 4 DGK she is my quilter.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:42 PM

I am so excited for you. I wished my mother and I could have worked on quilt together. This is something she will treasure for a life time. :thumbup:
Old 06-22-2010, 07:55 PM
Google Goddess

cool, have fun
Old 06-22-2010, 09:54 PM

I have an 11 y/o DGD also who wants to learn. She has had great fun designing quilts on Quilt Wizard and we are going to shop my stash as soon as her summer school is over (math). I've revised some of the blocks she chose to eliminate some of the seams to speed up the process and stretch the stash fabrics she indicated liking, none of which had enough to go on and do a twin sized quilt. May have to settle for a wall hanging or lap quilt OR use a greater number of fabrics instaed of the 3 she picked.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:05 PM

How about a D4P? Only 2 colors per block. :-)
http://sewwonderful.blogspot.com/201...o-9-patch.html
Old 06-24-2010, 04:43 AM

I made my first quilt at 12. It was Sunbonnet Sue. My best friend's mother was a Southern farm lady and "fragile" but that's the one thing she could do. It was a lazy, hot Southern summer & we sat on the big porch and embroidered the blocks while drinkings lots of lemonade. Great memories & a wonderful skill.