Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's your current project? >

What's your current project?

What's your current project?

Old 06-25-2010, 09:53 AM

I am curious about what everyone is working on. I love to chat with quilters about works-in-progress and recently completed works. I'm sure this topic has been done before, but there are some specific questions I would like to ask. I'm a writer and English teacher--it's what I do so indulge me, please.

Here are my questions: What do you hope the project will look like? Colors? Size? Which techniques are you using? How will it be used--bed quilt, art, table topper, etc. Who is it for? Why are you making it? Is it a gift, to celebrate a special occassion, or just for fun? Approximately how much will it cost? How did you come up with the idea? What will you write on the label--other than your name, the date, size and title. What is the title of the project? Did I miss anything?
Old 06-25-2010, 09:58 AM

I am working on way to many at once. Then I just started a few more. I'm nuts. I was starting to get my UFO pile down and I guess I felt naked. I had to add a few more. It must be that comfort zone. I am today going to work on a quilt called
"No guilt quilt". I started it last week and wanted to hang it in my kitchen so I put everything away to work on it. Its in to many pieces right now for pictures but its by Possibilities.
Hopefully I'll be able to get pictures in the next few days. :shock:
Old 06-25-2010, 10:01 AM

I work on a lot a time too. I currently have 3 wedding gifts and 2 quilts for kids that I will work on this weekend. They are in various stages of doneness. One wedding gift only needs the label, another just a tiny bit more quilting then binding and label, another wedding gift is just blocks at the moment.
The two quilts for kids are sandwiched and waiting for quilting.
I have a dozen others that are WIPS, most of them just need the quilting done!
Old 06-25-2010, 10:08 AM

I'm working on two quilts using tiger panels. After much deliberation and an equal amount of fabric shopping, I narrowed the colors to blacks and browns. I ended up buying so much fabric trying to decide on a color scheme that I have enough for at least two quilts so I decided to give them both to my grandson who requested tigers for his quilt. The size will be approximately twin size. They'll probably be used for his bed. The techniques that I'm using are strip piecing, half square triangles, flying geese and (hopefully) some fancy free motion quilting. I'm also using some of the fabric I rejected for the front to do a pieced back using tube quilt method on one of the quilts. I didn't keep track of the cost. Maybe it's just as well since it would probably be more than I'd like. :)

One quilt is sandwiched and ready to quilt. The other needs to have the back completed.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:11 AM

I'm making a Grandmothers Flower Garden quilt. The flowers are red, white and blue with while hexagons all around. It will be lap size as a gift for my (ex) mother in law's 92nd surprise birthday party. She was the one who inspired me to quilt and now she is unable to. I'm calling it inspiration. Oh its English paper piecing!
Old 06-25-2010, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

I made some blocks for a swap, but had to pull out do to some unforeseen circumstances. In the end, I finished the blocks - they are brown and raspberry color with circles and spikes. They have been speaking to me: We want to be a box of chocolates and we want to go to a friend's house. So I bought some very light fabric to make sashing (the box) and I plan to use the brown and raspberry for the borders. No idea how big - I NEVER manage to plan a size. My quilts always end up how they end up. Proportional and pretty (I think). SO wish me luck on my low-calory chocolate treat.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:22 AM

I'm working on a PP double wedding ring in red and white for my sister and her husband. It will be a little bigger than a twin size, but every few days I start thinking they really only need a couple of placemats. And then I take a breath, rip some stitches and get going again. :)
Old 06-25-2010, 10:35 AM

I, too am working on several projects at once. I have to put border on a Quilt of Honor and get that ready to send out, I have to wait till my order from Jhiddle comes in with buttons to cover to complete my Bow Tucks Bag, I also had enough fabric left from that kit to make the small version of Bow Tucks Tote, my own calculations (oh Boy!) and I have 3 other projects that are cleaning out some of my scraps. Once I have something completed, I will post pictures. Oh, and I also finished quilting my friend's quilt top that I had posted a couple weeks ago asking for suggestions on how to quilt it. I need to post that, too.
Busy, Busy. I love retirement!!!!!
Old 06-25-2010, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
I am curious about what everyone is working on. I love to chat with quilters about works-in-progress and recently completed works. I'm sure this topic has been done before, but there are some specific questions I would like to ask. I'm a writer and English teacher--it's what I do so indulge me, please.

Here are my questions: What do you hope the project will look like? Colors? Size? Which techniques are you using? How will it be used--bed quilt, art, table topper, etc. Who is it for? Why are you making it? Is it a gift, to celebrate a special occassion, or just for fun? Approximately how much will it cost? How did you come up with the idea? What will you write on the label--other than your name, the date, size and title. What is the title of the project? Did I miss anything?
Love to chat about all hobbies, well 4 me it's not quilting this time it's sewing 2 blouses 4 my mother I have not much time I began late so I bout 2 skirts ready made
I told her I am late she answer if you made them long time a go they will be oooooooooooooold ;) ;-) ;) They r gifts She asked me to do a new clothes
Other questions regard a quilts .
Old 06-25-2010, 11:01 AM

I have 2 projects going right now. The 1st is Grandmother's Flower Garden using the EPP method - all hand pieced and will be hand quilted. The center is complete and I am starting on the borders. I don't know how big it will be - hopefully queen size. I started this quilt in March when I had to pack up my sewing room because we were moving. This quilt will be for me, it is blue and white, I think I will make pillow shams and dresser scarves to match. I bought the fabric so long ago I don't remember where I got it --- it took all this time to figure out what to do with it.

The 2nd project is actually 2 quilts that I am making for my GDs for Christmas gifts. They are hemmed hexagons (a.k.a. Hickory Nuts) This fabric I purchased a few months ago planning to make the Yellow Brick Road pattern with it. I put one together and hated it ---- so change of plan. LOL. The backing fabric (shell) is the same for both quilts, I'm using 10 different (bright) fabrics for the inside (the nuts) and plan to put the label on the front in one of the hexagons. The labels will have my GD's names on them so they will know which one is theirs. I need about 200 hexagons and have over 100 made. I started this project this week and should finish by next weekend. I needed a break from the GFG project but wanted to do something quick that wouldn't turn into a UFO.

My good old machine that I used to machine quilt broke over the winter. I wanted to buy a good new machine, but our moving expenses took the money I had saved for a machine. I have a basic not-so-hot machine that is ok for piecework so I can do the hemmed hexagons and that way they are already quilted, so problem solved! I see a lot of hemmed hexagon quilts or other quilt as you go projects in my future! LOL.

Thanks for asking --- it was nice to share.