Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When you buy fabric at Wal-Mart... >

When you buy fabric at Wal-Mart...

When you buy fabric at Wal-Mart...

Old 06-28-2010, 07:53 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

... is there a particular brand that you buy? Vip / Fabric Traditions / Springs / Classic Cottons / something else?

Those of you who used to have a Wal-Mart that carried fabric, and no longer do... what brand do you miss the most?
Old 06-28-2010, 08:20 AM

I am blessed to still have one of the few Wal Mart fabric stores. The VIP line is a good line that can also be found in a few other places. The Fabric Traditions is the line that I appreciate the most. There you can find some of the designer prints at a lower value. Important for my pocket book. Great for giving me the ability to make charity quilts.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:48 AM

I buy and use Walmart fabric when I can find one that still has it. I try to purchase the 100% cottons that have been marked down. As far as the name on it, I could care less. If I like it I get it;if I like it a lot, I get a lot. The "names" don't mean much because I've seen major name brands that I wouldn't bring home for free. I just go by what I like.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:06 AM

Well I have heard a lot of Walmart bashing on this site but I don't see a problem with their fabric. Everything that I have bought and used has been great. Good quality. If it doesn't feel or look up to my standards I don't buy it. I used fabric from walmart and from my lqs on a quilt I made for my son about a year and a half ago. My little man is only 3 now so as you know at that age things get dirty a lot! It has seen many many many trips to the washer and dryer. And thus far everything still looks great on it. I can't tell which fabric I bought where. It all is holding together great. I say if you see something you like. And it feels good go ahead and buy it. Who cares if it came from walmart. And chances are once you get it home nobody will have to know :)
Old 06-28-2010, 09:10 AM
Pam

I agree, if the quality is good and you can afford it, go ahead and use it, no matter where it was purchased.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
... is there a particular brand that you buy? Vip / Fabric Traditions / Springs / Classic Cottons / something else?

Those of you who used to have a Wal-Mart that carried fabric, and no longer do... what brand do you miss the most?
All the above - when the stores do their "remodels" - or as my mom would say - "remuddle" - I go slightly crazy.

I go by the individual piece - more than the line - I have some RJR and an Alexander Henry that I purchased at a LQS that I consider "mediocre" as far as quality is concerned and some Oakhurst, Signature, and Springs fabrics I consider "good" quality fabrics. I also have some "mystery" lines that I consider good.

Actually, what I miss the most were the "assortment" and "quilt of the month" fabrics that used to be $2.00-$2.44/yard. Got some great fabrics there.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:24 AM

It is in the plans for Wal Mart to do away with all the fabric depts. while remodeling all stores. This is according to a WM manager. My location was to be done away with this last year. There were so many calls to the 800 wal mart #, they have agreed to leave it open longer. But it is just a delay, still on the calander to be deleated. All other locations around the area have the deleation. I encourage everyone to call and beg. Let the big dogs know how we feel.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SillyStitchin
Let the big dogs know how we feel.
I have thought that many of those "big dogs" were definitely "sons of -----" - but I hate to disrespect the female canine mothers.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:41 AM

I buy the majority of my fabric from lqs and online quilt shops, but when I do buy from Walmart, it's usually the VIP line. Just feels better and looks better. BUT, I don't care what the name is if I like it!
Old 06-28-2010, 09:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pam
I agree, if the quality is good and you can afford it, go ahead and use it, no matter where it was purchased.
:thumbup: :thumbup: