Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When you buy fabric at Wal-Mart... >

When you buy fabric at Wal-Mart...

When you buy fabric at Wal-Mart...

Old 06-28-2010, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

I don't look at the "brand" name I just buy what I like and how it feels :thumbup:
Old 06-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by raptureready
I buy and use Walmart fabric when I can find one that still has it. I try to purchase the 100% cottons that have been marked down. As far as the name on it, I could care less. If I like it I get it;if I like it a lot, I get a lot. The "names" don't mean much because I've seen major name brands that I wouldn't bring home for free. I just go by what I like.
Ditto. This is me too.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Threeto. :-)

when i'm buying shop fabs, the name matters because i've identified a few that are consistently not worth the price. since i do most of my shop fabbing online, i take extra care.

in walmart, i go strictly by look, feel, and whether or not they are worth the price.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
... is there a particular brand that you buy? Vip / Fabric Traditions / Springs / Classic Cottons / something else?

Those of you who used to have a Wal-Mart that carried fabric, and no longer do... what brand do you miss the most?
Our stores no longer have fabric, but I USED to buy VIP, some Springs & Fabric Traditions. I steered clear of the no-names, low thread count etc
Old 06-28-2010, 02:05 PM

I go by "feel" of the fabric. If it's cotton and I like the feel of it (not too "cheap" feeling), I buy it. Easy decision.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:18 PM

I go by feel also... but it seems that I end up with alot of Fabric Traditions. the prints are WAY cute!
Old 06-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Power Poster

I never even look at the brand! If I find a print I love, I just feel it, look closer, see if its see through, ect.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Power Poster

I too, go by the look and feel of the fabric, more than the name on the label :D:D:D
Old 06-28-2010, 07:03 PM
Banned

Ditto , I'm a feeler too ! I even open out the fabric and look to see if I can see through it ! Dept manager always give me strange looks , but I don't care . The things I make I would like to last a while . Annie
Old 06-28-2010, 07:23 PM

I haven't been to any Walmart to check fabrics lately, although there are probably 20 within a 30 mile radius of where I live. I have a hugh stash, so only buy the larger cuts for backing and borders for the most part. I have usually just used Joann's with a coupon. However, today I ordered for the first time some fabric from http://www.bearpawquilting.com/special.html. They are having a hugh sale of quality quilting fabrics for 3.99-4.99/yd (about 30 pages worth!) and if you order before Tuesday 12:00 noon, and buy 2 or more yards of the same fabric, they take an additional $1.00 per yard off! I need more fabric like a hole in the head, but couldn't pass it up-I spent about 3 hours pondering it and ended up buying a total of 50 yards!! They charged approx $20.00 for the shipping, but I figure just that extra $1.00 per yd off saved me another $50.00 so I still came out ahead. If you decide to check it out, make sure you pick the fabrics that have a ref # starting with "qqf" to get the extra discount. I now have the fabric and backing for another king-sz and a topper. (maybe in my next life I might get them done!) I hope I don't regret it-I worry about the colors being accurate, and I REALLY love to feel the fabrics!