Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Flynn Quilt Frame >

The Flynn Quilt Frame

The Flynn Quilt Frame

Old 06-30-2010, 03:13 AM

Has anyone here heard of or used the Flynn Quilt Frame?
www.flynnquilt.com

My DH found it online.. and of course he would rather I purchase this system because it is very inexpensive. =)

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 06-30-2010, 03:48 AM

I have one, but it is in an un-airconditioned building right now waiting for fall. Having it set up with my second sewing machine keeps me in business inside the house with my main machine.

It isn't as easy as the video shows to get good results. You have only about 4 to 6 inches depth to work on if you have a regular sewing machine. Also, you will need a wide space to set it up, 4 feet on either side of your sewing machine. I found the big red PVC rollers to be cumbersome. I set two dining tables end-to-end with a lower end table in between to put my machine on so I would have a flat area to move my quilt top.

He says you can get longer poles to make a wider quilt top, but I don't think I would be able to manage that much weight.

It does keep the quilt nice and flat. I think I might use it to sew quilt sandwiches together, but I don't know if I'll ever be skilled enough to do much free-motion quilting on it. I plan on practicing more when the weather cools down.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:16 AM

if you do a search (top of page) on John Flynn frames you will find a number of discussions on this subject. You can decide for yourself whether this is going to be money well spent - or if you want something that will do a better job. John makes it look so easy because of his years of use, but frustration can be overwhelming when things don't go as smoothly as previously thought!

June
Old 06-30-2010, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by june6995
if you do a search (top of page) on John Flynn frames you will find a number of discussions on this subject. You can decide for yourself whether this is going to be money well spent - or if you want something that will do a better job. John makes it look so easy because of his years of use, but frustration can be overwhelming when things don't go as smoothly as previously thought!

June
Thank you June! Didn't even think to do a search before posting!
Old 06-30-2010, 05:22 AM

Had one, HUGE learning curve. Never could get the hang of it and sold it on Ebay....
Old 06-30-2010, 05:32 AM

My mother had purchased one of these before she got her LA. She never got it out of the box, so I asked if I could try it. I like to do bigger quilts so I purchased the 2x2's and had my husband cut the 2x2's 5 foot. Now this one was quite abit older and that is what you put it together with 2x2's. It was way to heavy to move.(Maybe smaller pieces would of helped) Then my machine is and was a older Kenmore with a very small throat.I am guilty I did not have the patience and decided I didn't want to even try it anymore and I was very frustrated with it. But I am wondering if the newer model with light pvc pipe might be much more realistic so will be watching this thread to "find out".
Old 06-30-2010, 06:02 AM

I too had one and used it for 3 quilts that were for charity. It is time consuming sewing the top to one end and then the backing to the other end and then once all put together move furniture in my sewing room so that it would be enough room for the PVC pipes to stretch out and roll freely. Ok finally after all that I started and the beginning of the quilt worked great BUT once a portion is quilted and rolled up there is no room in the throat area to continue to quilt. There I was quilting 1" length at a time and rolling it up. It was awful so sold it on Craig's list. My opinion --save your money. Sue