Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt / Duvet cover? >

Quilt / Duvet cover?

Quilt / Duvet cover?

Old 07-28-2010, 05:24 AM

I am wanting to make a quilt for our anniversary year (this year-25 years) But hubby and both LOVE the down filled comforters. I am wondering if anyone has ever made a quilt or quilt top and used it as a duvet cover?

If so please tell me how you did it. Or how you would do it.

I am not sure if I need to make the quilt and finish it as normal then add a second loose backing (like a sheet or other fabric) to slip in the the duvet ---OR---just make the top of the quilt and slip in the down comforter?

I am needing some suggestions here please.

Thanks ladies! :)
LaQuita
Old 07-28-2010, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

I've not made one but it seems you would use a backing for your quilt top (no batting) and "quilt" it, then add another backing (sheet) and sew on for the duvet.
good luck.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:57 AM

I had one - It was a pieced top with a cotton backing - the comforter slipped in between the top and the backing. The threads kept pulling when the comforter was removed & replaced for washing. I didn't make that one but based on that experience, if I was going to make one I would have a double backing so that the top was sealed to prevent threads from pulling when you removed/replaced the comforter.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:15 AM

good ideas ladies. THANKS! I am thinking that after I go to all this wokr onthe king size that it would be well worth my time to go ahead and finish it out as a quilt then add a sheet for the backing for the duvet covcer. THIS WAY if i ever get tired of the duvet all I have ot do is take off the sheet and have a quilt.

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Banned

I made one for my stepdaugther. I pieced the top and then I put a cotton backing on it and kinda made it like a pillowcase, where you just put the down comforter in from the bottom. I had about 1/4 of the bottom sewed close on each side and left enough room in the middle to insert the comforter. I then used velcro closures on the bottom so the comforter wouldn't fall out. Once you had the comforter in it and all the way up to the top corners and fluffed it pretty much stayed like that.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:57 PM

Awhile back, 10 years or so, I bought a book that had quilt patterns for duvet covers. I'll try to find it for you.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by angelwatcher
Awhile back, 10 years or so, I bought a book that had quilt patterns for duvet covers. I'll try to find it for you.
Oh Val, that would be great. THANKS so much!
Old 07-28-2010, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan
I've not made one but it seems you would use a backing for your quilt top (no batting) and "quilt" it, then add another backing (sheet) and sew on for the duvet.
good luck.
I made it this way for the son with the down comforter. It washed well this way. I put velcro at the bottom where you insert it...next time I may do buttons and buttonholes...
Old 07-29-2010, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by LAQUITA
Originally Posted by angelwatcher
Oh Val, that would be great. THANKS so much!
I found the book, it's called "Comforter Cover Ups" by Four Corners
http://www.quiltknit.com/BK1098-COMF...ERS_p_433.html
You can find it at the above website, or google the title.

My copy has 5 patterns and instructions for full, queen and king.

front side
[ATTACH=CONFIG]68991[/ATTACH]

back side of book
[ATTACH=CONFIG]68992[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-68986.jpe   attachment-68987.jpe  
Old 07-29-2010, 02:09 PM

When my oldest son went to college 8 yrs ago, he challenged me to make a down filled quilt to take with him. I wanted to make a duvet but he nixed that idea. I ended up using a full size down comforter as the batting for his quilt. The bargello in my avatar is his younger brother's college quilt and it was done the same way.

They are the only two quilts I've done this way. Quite frankly, it's a pain in the rear end. The quilts are very heavy and were a nightmare to get through my machine arm. Plus, because down is so fluid, to make it work right under the quilt, I chose to remove the comforter baffle stitches one section at a time before I quilted that section. I had to remove the stitches, pin a small section, quilt, and repeat over and over....yep, what a pain.

HOWEVER, the finished results were remarkable. My boys absolutely LOVE them and actually showed them off. To have a teenage boy say "LOOK at what my Mom made for me!" is a wonderful thing. Not fun to do but well worth the effort!

Oh yes...Because I used washable down comforters, they're easily cleaned with no problem. The oldest quilt is just over 8 yrs and the other is about 5. They've been heavily used and washed several times and are in great condition.