Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Weight loss challenge with a prize.........Aug sign up >

Weight loss challenge with a prize.........Aug sign up

Weight loss challenge with a prize.........Aug sign up

Old 08-21-2010, 04:20 PM
Banned

Corn Chowder and Pink Coleslaw..........

Since I have a few days alone and haven't been doing good diet wise I had a choice I could either pig out on food DD hates like potato pancakes with applesauce and stuff like that. Or I could go the other way since I don't have to cook for her and nibble what I make and go the healthy eating way. I chose the healthy way. I was so good today. Yogurt with blueberries for breakfast, split pea soup for lunch. Snacked on carrots. I had a small canned ham. Perfect it was 1 lb so it was 4 dinners at 4 oz each or I could have it for lunch. Now what would go good with ham???????????? Corn which I had on the cob tomatoes form my garden and coleslaw. I had a few ears of corn so I cooked 2. I ate one and cut the corn off the cob of the other and added celery/onions and spices to the cooking water. It is cooking as I type. I will add powdered milk when it is almost done to get the creamyness (sp?) I know you are suppose to have sausage or bacon in chowder, I have bacon bits at just 35 cal per serving so when I put my chowder in the bowl for lunch tomorrow I will sprinkle bacon bits on top. Now for the pink coleslaw...........I REALLY like coleslaw but seldom make it. I din't have green cabbage however I put red cabbage in salad so I had 1/2 a head of red cabbage. I made a dressing using 1/4 mayo to 3/4 greek yogurt, a spoonful of sugar, apple cider vinegar onion, salt and pepper. I put it in the fridge to cool until dinner. When I took out the bowl I laughed my butt off it was pink. I never gave that a thought. I knew red cabbage would turn things pink or purple but never thought about it when I was making the coleslaw. It tasted wonderful that is all the mattered and I could eat all I want since it has so few calories. I thought you guys might get a chuckle out of my pink coleslaw story so I had to share it with you.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
Corn Chowder and Pink Coleslaw..........

Since I have a few days alone and haven't been doing good diet wise I had a choice I could either pig out on food DD hates like potato pancakes with applesauce and stuff like that. Or I could go the other way since I don't have to cook for her and nibble what I make and go the healthy eating way. I chose the healthy way. I was so good today. Yogurt with blueberries for breakfast, split pea soup for lunch. Snacked on carrots. I had a small canned ham. Perfect it was 1 lb so it was 4 dinners at 4 oz each or I could have it for lunch. Now what would go good with ham???????????? Corn which I had on the cob tomatoes form my garden and coleslaw. I had a few ears of corn so I cooked 2. I ate one and cut the corn off the cob of the other and added celery/onions and spices to the cooking water. It is cooking as I type. I will add powdered milk when it is almost done to get the creamyness (sp?) I know you are suppose to have sausage or bacon in chowder, I have bacon bits at just 35 cal per serving so when I put my chowder in the bowl for lunch tomorrow I will sprinkle bacon bits on top. Now for the pink coleslaw...........I REALLY like coleslaw but seldom make it. I din't have green cabbage however I put red cabbage in salad so I had 1/2 a head of red cabbage. I made a dressing using 1/4 mayo to 3/4 greek yogurt, a spoonful of sugar, apple cider vinegar onion, salt and pepper. I put it in the fridge to cool until dinner. When I took out the bowl I laughed my butt off it was pink. I never gave that a thought. I knew red cabbage would turn things pink or purple but never thought about it when I was making the coleslaw. It tasted wonderful that is all the mattered and I could eat all I want since it has so few calories. I thought you guys might get a chuckle out of my pink coleslaw story so I had to share it with you.
OOOH. I am so jealous! I LOVE cole slaw! Your pink cole slaw sounds so wonderful!! So does your soup. MMM MMM GOOD!

How did you make your split pea soup? I love that soup.

Corn chowder is one of my favorites but I have never been able to make it healthy. I just always figured you would have to have cream and all that stuff but I see how you have made it and it sounds wonderful!

You are doing soo good Trupeach. I am so proud of you!

Missy
Old 08-21-2010, 05:35 PM
Banned

[quote=MissyGirl][quote=trupeach

How did you make your split pea soup? I love that soup.

Corn chowder is one of my favorites but I have never been able to make it healthy. I just always figured you would have to have cream and all that stuff but I see how you have made it and it sounds wonderful!

You are doing soo good Trupeach. I am so proud of you!

Missy[/quote]

For the corn chowder I replace the cream with fat free milk then when it is done I take about 1/4 of the soup and put it in the blender then dump it back it the soup. It will make the soup thick and creamy.

At times I will make split pea soup like you are suppose to with a ham bone and fresh carrots and onions etc. This I call my lazy split pea soup. I make it every week or so especially when I am dieting. That and also lentil soup since they are a powerhouse of protein yet a ltllte fills you up and because they take long to digest you feel full longer.

This is for 4 servings after 4 days it spoils and no one in the house eats it but me. The servings aren't large about it is fulling.

Cheater Split Pea Soup

1 c dried split peas rinsed (1/2 peas uncooked are 1 protein serving)
3 c water
2 tsp dried celery seed or 1 tsp celery salt
2 tbs dried onion flakes or onion powder
1 tsp dried parsley flakes
2 jars baby food carrots 4 oz jars
salt and pepper to taste
I don't like rosemary but if you want you can add 1 tsp dried rosemary

In a pot put everything except the carrots. Simmer about an hour or until thickish and the peas soft and fall apart like a puree. If it looks too thick add some water. Add the 2 jars of baby carrots, stir until they are blended in the soup. Easy peasy If you want to get fancy you can add some fat free milk and have cream of pea soup.

I have not used it but I understand fat free evaporated milk is a really good replacement for cream. I will have to try it myself someday.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:58 PM

I love split pea soup. My kids hated it.

I excercised off more calories than I consumed today. That's a first for me since probably high school, at least twenty years.

It was really hot today and it is to be hotter next week. I guess I just gotta love what I got. It is beautiful in a hot kinda way.

Take it slow Missy, enjoy having him chase you.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
I love split pea soup. My kids hated it.

I excercised off more calories than I consumed today. That's a first for me since probably high school, at least twenty years.

It was really hot today and it is to be hotter next week. I guess I just gotta love what I got. It is beautiful in a hot kinda way.

Take it slow Missy, enjoy having him chase you.
CarolJ...you are doing soo good!! Way to go! You are going to win this thing with the way you are going! Yay!

Oh slow is my middle name right now. I am too scared to go fast in this relationship. He is so wonderful and I do not want to lose him because of jumping the gun or going too fast. As Mike says...we are just enjoying being best friends. What a great guy! Being chased is awful fun. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 08-21-2010, 11:42 PM

Well Missy sounds like everything went well. Great so happy for you.
The pea soup that Trupeach gave us sounds really good I have all the stuff for it so I think I well make it tomorrow. I have also used Red Cabbage in my Coleslaw and I like the pink color it gives it. I add celery seed to mine in addition to the other ingredients It's one of my favorite salads. Have you ever tried sliced tomatoes with chopped garlic, parsley and green onion with oil and vinegar. Let it set in the fridge for a couple of hours and it's really good and not full of calories. I better stop I'm making myself hungry.
Talk to you all tomorrow or should I say latter today.
Gail
Old 08-22-2010, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by quilthappygail
Well Missy sounds like everything went well. Great so happy for you.
The pea soup that Trupeach gave us sounds really good I have all the stuff for it so I think I well make it tomorrow. I have also used Red Cabbage in my Coleslaw and I like the pink color it gives it. I add celery seed to mine in addition to the other ingredients It's one of my favorite salads. Have you ever tried sliced tomatoes with chopped garlic, parsley and green onion with oil and vinegar. Let it set in the fridge for a couple of hours and it's really good and not full of calories. I better stop I'm making myself hungry.
Talk to you all tomorrow or should I say latter today.
Gail
Thank you Gail! Your salad sounds terrific!! MMMM!

Missy
Old 08-22-2010, 07:27 AM
Banned

Gail I have about 6 tomatoes from my garden not enough to can however by the time the others are ripe these will spoil. I have been picking about 3-4 each day. I am getting tired of tomatoes in a lettuce salad or just plain old sliced tomatoes. I am going to make your tomato salad today. I bet it would be good on a sandwich using italian bread. Now that is a thought for the leftovers for my lunch for tomorrow.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:52 AM

Being chased is the best!
Old 08-22-2010, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
Being chased is the best!
Oh gosh CarolJ it sure is!

Missy