Worth Fixing?

Old 08-10-2010, 05:48 AM

I inherited an older Singer machine from my great-grandmother. It was handed down to my grandmother, and then to me when my grandmother passed away a few months ago. My mom doesn't sew a lick, so she wasn't interested in it.

According to the serial number (AH783721), it was made in September 1948, and is a model/class number 15. Looks like it was made in New Jersey, and that there were 35,000 made. :)

Offhand, I know for sure that it needs a power cord and a throat plate. Looks like it needs a bobbin case too. It's in a cabinet, which is in very good structural condition, but has lots of cosmetic scratches (should be easy to refinish). The machine and cabinet were stored in my Granny's basement for years. My great-grandmother passed away in the late 70's, and I bet this machine hasn't been used at all since she was still able to sew. It's dusty and dirty, and likely has been exposed to mice, spiders, and other basement critters. >>shudder<<

Here are a few photos. Sorry they're grainy; I snapped them with my cell phone, but can get better ones if needed. :)

Oh, and my DH is very mechanically-inclined and can fix just about anything, and he's also an industrial painter, so if (BIG IF) I decide I want the machine repainted, he can do that as well.

So ... do you think it's worth fixing? It would be awesome to do it for the sentimental value (I remember sewing on it as a young child), but realistically, I wouldn't want to throw good money after bad, if it's not really worth it, if that makes sense. :)
Attached Thumbnails attachment-94800.jpe   attachment-94801.jpe   attachment-94802.jpe   attachment-94803.jpe   attachment-94804.jpe  

Old 08-10-2010, 05:54 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1013

Post it in the Virtual section and Billy will be more than glad to help you with it.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:55 AM

Clean it up and use it! Parts are easily available and you can service it yourself. Get a manual. Enjoy your "new" beauty. :thumbup:
Old 08-10-2010, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

I say it is definitly worth fixing up!!!
those machines with metal parts are sturdy work horses and when properly maintained will last for generations. when our fancy computerized machines go through all kinds of technical issues those old singers just keep right on stitching...beautiful, even straight little stitches...what a treasure! ... and if you need an heir... i'm available :)
Old 08-10-2010, 05:57 AM

Personally, I would get it fixed and use it.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:03 AM

You'll have a gorgeous machine when you restore her back to her original beauty!! Please fix her up and use her!! You'll be glad you did. I can't wait to see the after pics!!
Old 08-10-2010, 06:33 AM

Most definitly fix it up! You will be surprised what a good cleaning will do for it. For sentimental reasons alone, it is worth spending a few bucks. You'd spend as much for a dinner out( or so I am told, don't eat out much,LOL) And that Liquid Gold or Old English polish can work mirackles on the wood. And the machine might not to be painted at all! I gave up my Grandmothers treadle because I thought I couldn"T fix it, and I gave my Mom's machine to my niece, thinking she would use it, but instead she bought sa new one. Now I wish I had both!!
Old 08-10-2010, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

By all means get that beauty fixed!!!!
Old 08-10-2010, 07:00 AM

yes they sew wonderfully!
you will not be sorry that you made this baby shine!
yes ask Billy!
If you don't have a local shop that deals with these older machines there are alot of online resources to help.
and they are really not that complicted!
Old 08-10-2010, 07:03 AM

I think that it's worth working on it! These singer machine are die-hard & besides it really doesn't look bad.