Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Need help deciding if an old treadle is worth fixing up >

Need help deciding if an old treadle is worth fixing up

Need help deciding if an old treadle is worth fixing up

Old 12-12-2018, 04:28 PM

Default Need help deciding if an old treadle is worth fixing up

I was given an old Queen Treadle machine which I took to our local sewing machine repair shop. He said that it could be cleaned up to work, but doesn't recommend it as the paint on the top of the machine is peeling off and one corner of the base is broken so needs to be propped up. His bench fee to check it out was 25$ and for another 75$ he could get it working with a needed new belt. We would still need to prop up the base or screw on something to support it as we're told the cast iron can't be welded to. Is this a good machine and would it be worth the investment?
Attached Thumbnails queen-machine-2.jpg  
Old 12-12-2018, 04:44 PM

This is the place for threadles, check the Victorian Sweatshop forum too; there are some very clever guys sorting out treadle irons, identifying model number, missing parts, etc. There are ways to improve upon chiped and flaking shellac, if you want it done nearly flawless it's possible, given time and effort; if you allow signs of wear and age you can do a simpler touch up. You need to get the flaking and finish sorted out before you start using the machine, it will prevent further damage to the finish. The decals on the bed looks rather good. The price isn't too bad, but you can probably get far with a DIY effort.

Furniture restores glue back flaky jappaning, fill in gaps and you can hardly see the difference. Check the thread of posts on top of this forum, there's lots of hints on how to improve worn japanning. There are several sources for a new treadle belt, SewClassic, Cindy Peters, ebay,... I think they weld or repair cast iron some how, you just have to find the right guy.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:28 PM

Thanks for your input. I'll look at the Victorian Sweatshop forum. The base decals on this machine are in good shape - it's only the top that's chipped and peeling. Do you know anything of the Queen machines? Were they made well? I've heard that they were made by White sewing machine company.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:38 AM

If you could post a picture of the entire machine it would help. I did a quick search on the web, and it looks like your machine was made before 1900. The curvey base or fiddle base are most common before 1900 or at least world war one. There's a good chance your machine was made by White, but it's a wild guess from way too little info.

This is an 1890s Queen made by White. The base and stitch lenght adjuster looks the same as on yours. It needs a bit more research to confirm data.

Old 12-13-2018, 05:43 AM

I am all thumbs when it comes to repairing machines but that is beautiful and I would love to have one!
Old 12-13-2018, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
I am all thumbs when it comes to repairing machines but that is beautiful and I would love to have one!
I wish you lived closer - to Vermont where it is - I'd love you to fix it up!
Old 12-13-2018, 07:41 AM

Default picture of entire machine

Here's a picture of the whole machine - I appreciate you taking the time to get more info for me. I'll also post the back side picture where you can see the broken base part. Thanks!
Old 12-13-2018, 07:43 AM

Default backside of queen machine picture

Hope this picture came through - will retry the first one!
Attached Thumbnails img_1132.jpg  
Old 12-13-2018, 07:44 AM

Default picture of front of queen machine

2nd attempt to post picture of front side of the queen!
Attached Thumbnails img_1130.jpg  
Old 12-13-2018, 07:56 AM
Banned

Well worth saving. And you have Way better decals on yours than I have on mine.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 03-18-2019 at 02:35 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps