Get The Smoke Out???

Old 08-31-2010, 02:28 PM

Any ideas on getting the smoke out of your home? My husband, myself and our 20 year old son have all stopped smoking. We would really like to get the smoke out of our home. I know opening up the house will help but it is to hot now. Maybe in October or November. (live in Florida)
Any help?
Thanks, Gwen
Old 08-31-2010, 02:34 PM

Citrus fragrances are natural odor neutralizers. I can personally recommend the Citrus Magic line of air fresheners as well as candles from the Legendary Candle Company. Both use natural essential oils for their fragrances.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

We have had apartments with smokers, and we washed all the walls with ammonia water. Fantastik also works wonders on the walls, furniture, etc. and to get rid of the greasy build-up from smoke.
Having your carpets done professionally helps too.
Vinegar in the rinse water of the washer helps to get the smell out of clothes too.
Hope this helps! :)
Old 08-31-2010, 02:38 PM

Congratulations on quitting smoking. I've heated vinegar in the microwave to eliminate fish smells, don't know if it will work on smoke or not. Worth a try.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:59 PM

You might try washing the walls and ceiling with sugar soap. Its a natural product and will not hurt your paintwork.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:06 PM

When we quit smoking 6 years ago, I sent all the drapes out to be dry cleaned. I shampooed all the carpets at least 3 times, scrubbed walls and aired the house out for days.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:08 PM

Here's a little decorating tip that works well with furniture - like sofa and seating....just slide dryer sheet between the cushions, under arm pads, etc. - real estate agents do this when trying to remove smoke smells when getting a home ready for potential buyers.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:11 PM

Congratulations to you all! You may want to call one of the cleaning companies that specialize in cleaning after damage. My neighbors had a fire in thier basement that left smoke damage and they did a great job. I called the company myself when I accidently dumped a full gallon of latex paint on new carpet! Believe it or not, they cleaned my carpet perfectly and it wasn't too expensive either. Nowadays they use oder neutralizers and should do a great job on your rugs and upholstery. It's worth a little expense. If scrubbing the walls doesn't work for you they do sell paint that will trap the odor. Congratulations again, thats fantastic!
Old 08-31-2010, 03:27 PM

Zero Oder works quite well. It is a product to remove pet odors from anything. I use it when I launder quilts and none of my customers know I smoke because they do not smell it on the fabrics.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:36 PM

Thanks to all, I will give some of these a try.
If you have any other ideas let me know.
I am thinking that I may have to wash all of my fabric, really do not want to I like the quilt to shrink some when I was it for that old look, so not sure what to do about that. May try the dryer sheets between some of the fabric.
Thanks,
Gwen