Thyroid Cancer

Old 09-05-2010, 07:40 PM

Has anyone ever had thyroid cancer? I was diagnosed about a month ago and had to have a thyroidectomy. I just wondered if you have ever known it to spread? I'm not really worried about it, just more curious than anything. I have to have some radiation as soon as my tsa levels are where they need to be. They told me that if I have to have cancer, this is the best one to have.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:44 PM

I also am dealing with my thyroids. I don't have cancer though. A friend of mine -- her mother -- had it and had the same surgery. She seems to be doing well. I was also told the same thing -- that if you had to have cancer that thyroid cancer was it. I hope you have a speedy recovery. I'm still trying to decide if I want to have mine removed. I have problems with swallowing and choking and my ENT wants to take them out. Just not sure yet if i will do it.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:59 PM

My daughter was diagnosed with papillary carcinoma, thyroid cancer when she was 21 and had a thyroidectomy shortly after she turned 22. After a number of weeks on a low iodine diet and when her TSH was low enough she had I-131 therapy. She recovered quickly and of course is now on daily thyroid replacement medication. She is now 27 and doing well.
Best of luck with your surgery.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Banned

Eat tapioca pudding it kills cancer cells. Google tapicoa and cancer.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:10 PM

OK Tru I am going to buy Tapioca pudding. I love it anyway. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Power Poster

Hello...when I was pregnant with my second boy (who turns 18 this year) my first husband was diagnosed with papillary carcinoma - thyroid cancer. He had a partial thyroidectomy, then a few months later elected for a full thyroidecomy. He like nursie76's daughter was prescribed daily thyroid replacement medication. Some years later when we separated, he was diagnosed with breast cancer (rare in men) this was NOT connected to the thyroid cancer, he had a double mastectomy and radiation treatment. He went on to re-marry and fathered a healthy little boy. He continues to lead a full and productive life.

We were also told thyroid cancer was the "best" one to have. Also, maintaining a positive outlook, doing any recommended checks/follow ups and try and keep stress to a minimum....all sensible advice for anyone to follow.

It seems you are on the right track...curious but not worried, just the right attitude to adopt. All the best..from the land of Aus.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:39 PM

I have hypothyroidism disease too, namely Hashimotos disease. I was told they would have to monitor my TSH levels every 3 months with blood work and eventually, will have my thyroid removed. I will have to take synthroid everyday for life. My doctor told me that while I do not have thyroid cancer now, it is the one to have if you ever have to be faced with cancer at all. Not sure this is reassuring to me or not! Guess women is affected with thryoid disease more than men.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:50 PM
JJs
Banned

supposedly thyroid cancer is even more slow-growing than prostate cancer ..
As far as I know I don't have cancer, but do have "hot and cold spots", goiter, have had a biopsy, hashimotos thyroiditis, hypothyroid....
and diabetes just to keep it interesting LOL
Old 09-05-2010, 08:52 PM

Thanks everyone. I know that thyroid problems are pretty common in women. I just hope that when I get on the medication I will be able to lose some weight and have more energy. I will start the medication 3 days after I have the radiation. I told DH that I will be easy to find at night now, cause I will glow in the dark!! If jumping up and down and throwing a fit would get rid of it, I might just try it, but seeing as it doesn't, why use the energy. And the last time I got really worried, all it did was give me a stomach ache. I'd rather preserve what energy I have for quilting and praying!
Old 09-05-2010, 09:35 PM

I have Hashimotos too, found out when I was 20, I had a lump removed from it when I was 21. Dr said by the time my thyroid quit completely my thyroid would have the texture of bubble wrap,(bumps all over the thyroid) I just lost my health insurance on July 31st, so im scared of what is going to happen now.