Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pfaff and Viking dealership issues! >

Pfaff and Viking dealership issues!

Pfaff and Viking dealership issues!

Old 09-12-2010, 09:23 PM

My Pfaff dealer closed due to the fact that she wanted to move out of retail. If I had known she was going close her business two years after I purchased my machine, I would have traveled the 60 miles to where I know I could get a Janome and traded in my New Home Memory Craft 6000. I like my Pfaff a lot, but am bummed because there is nowhere I can purchase bobbins or other accessories...
Old 09-13-2010, 01:47 AM

My Bernina 440 is 3 yrs old in Dec.I also have a small machine (mechanical)I intended to use for classes.That never happened, so I just fire it up a couple times a yr for a few days.Hopefully I never have to buy another machine.After reading the comments/info on this thread,will keep fingers crossed for sure.

Looks like all we can do when buying new is go with a good dealer, but who knows how long any dealer will be around.The day we have to call a foreign country for sewing machine repair (as we did with 1st computer) is the day DH will become a machine repairman. LOL

Originally Posted by kmyers629
I have a Bernina 930 Electronic that I have been advised to keep at all cost. It is a work horse. However, I have just purchased a Brother CS6000i for using in class. It is much lighter than my Bernina. I do not ever intend to buy another Singer. All the gears are plastic and you know what that means. Singer use to be the standard but it has certainly come down hill in the last few years. I have been sewing for some 60 years and have a degree in Home Economics. Hopefully Bernina will not send their products to China. That would be a dredful shame!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kiki Myers in NC
Old 09-13-2010, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by christinelf
This is good informaton to know. I took my Sears Kenmore machine in for repair and they LOST it. I will need to buy something new. They offered me a "comparable" machine, ha!
I don't know what to get, this was my husband's wedding gift to me, 30 years ago. I am heartbroken over it.
Whoa. I'd have a hard time keeping my temper in a situation like this. I hope they offer you something you can live with.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:09 AM

Whaaaat? How can they "lose" a sewing machine? I would think you'd need to start at the top,before even talking to a local clerk.Losing your DH's wedding gift is awful! Don't think they could ever make it right, but do hope you get another macine.Please let us know how it goes.I'm sorry that happened to you.

Originally Posted by christinelf
This is good informaton to know. I took my Sears Kenmore machine in for repair and they LOST it. I will need to buy something new. They offered me a "comparable" machine, ha!
I don't know what to get, this was my husband's wedding gift to me, 30 years ago. I am heartbroken over it.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:02 AM

Our Joann's here do not sell Vikings. Only Singers/Whites.

This SVP merger is NOT new, it happened a few years ago. Pfaffs have not been made IN Germany for years now. Pfaff has even stopped manuf. in Czechoslavakia. Some Pfaff models were made in Sweden after Viking bought Pfaff, but did not continue. Our dealer told us that all Pfaffs are made in China now. They've had so many problems with the Expressions 2.0-4.0 models that came out last year. My SIL bought the 3.0 and it has been in for repairs most of the last year
So much for the German (& Viking) engineering !! I'm hanging on to my older Pfaff. I fear their quality will never be the same ... :(
Old 09-13-2010, 08:28 AM

I really don't think that where they are made is of consequence. I think what DOES make a differece is quality control. Anyone else feel this way?
Old 09-13-2010, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by RDM
How sad-I can't believe Pfaff would go to big box stores-their branding was on quality, German engineering, and customer support through local dealers. IF they change they'd never repair their image. My Pfaff 7550 has been a great machine, but now I'd consider a Janome Horizon. Could Pfaff be moving to another dealer in your area or were sales low?
I have a Pfaff top of the line 7440 or some-such. I have a Janome 11000 also. I MUCH prefer the Janome. It is much more user friendly. I'm sad too to see Pfaff go by way of China for mfg. Where's our pride in "American Made"? I've had Elna machines in the past and they come right off the same line as Janome...one owns the other...and it was/is a great machine too.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:04 AM

Actually, Pfaffs WERE made in Sweden - after Viking bought Pfaff out. Pfaffs have not been made in Germany for years now. Some Pfaff models were also made in Czech. but no longer.
Pfaff initially had their top of the line Expression 2.0/3.0/4.0 models made in Sweden, but then moved it to China - and THAT'S when they started having massive quality problems with that line.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:56 AM

The Viking's being sold at JoAnn stores are not sold by JoAnn's. They are sold by a dealership leasing space within the JoAnn store. They have their own sales, which are totally separate from JoAnn's.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:02 AM

Babylock which is made by Brother is made in Japan. I have the 2003ult and the Pr600 and they were made in Japan. Look on the back of your machine, or some location on the machine and it should say where it was made.

Suzy