Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
buying a machine at a quilt show? Deal or no deal. >

buying a machine at a quilt show? Deal or no deal.

buying a machine at a quilt show? Deal or no deal.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:52 PM

The topic has been brought up and the O.K. given to look for a new quilting/sewing machine. I am looking at the Janome 1600. I will be using it on a frame my husband has built for me. I am wondering about the deals that are made at a quilt show. What are the changes that I will actually get a great deal or should I look local, ebay or buy somewhere else?
Laura
Old 09-21-2010, 05:59 PM
Power Poster

I would look around to get an idea on prices from different sources, the extras offered, etc... Then when you go to the show, you have some bargaining power :wink: :D:D:D
Old 09-21-2010, 06:02 PM

If you live near a quilt shop that participates in the quilt show you can usually get some good bargains at that shop the week following the quilt show. I'd ask the person at the show if the special pricing will be in her store too and for how long. This is how I got my Viking at a really good price. Once they use them for demos at the show, they're considered "open box" items. She also threw in a lot of extras left over from the show. Just a suggestion...
Old 09-21-2010, 06:45 PM

My mom got her machine at a quilt show. It was a workshop machine, but was never even removed from the box. I think that the deals are great.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:55 PM
Power Poster

I would want to make sure that I could get it serviced - is the dealer relatively accessible to you ?
Old 09-21-2010, 06:56 PM

If you are to put it on a frame get one with a large throat space. I bought a frame but could only quilt about 3 inches at a time then would have to roll it. The more that went onto the roll in the throat space the less area I could quilt in one go. Also you only need a machine that straight stitches.
Good luck with your search.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:56 PM

The deals are probably there, but use them to bargain with your local dealer. They're the ones that will offer classes and service the machine. Many won't do so if you don't buy it from them.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:13 PM

I bought my machine at a quilt show and never regreted it. Love my machine--it's a Janome 6500P.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:17 PM

Check with kenssewingcenter.com. They are a major Janome dealer at shows and often offer great deals on machines they didn't sell at shows or machines used in classes with very little time on them. Also have to agree about the throat space if you are planning to leave this on the frame all the time. Might check the Baileys Home quilter which is a 13 or 15 inch throat space. There are groups on Yahoo just for them or you can search here. Also think the HQ machines are wonderful deals. Just do your research beforehand so you are satisfied with your decision.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:26 PM

If you are looking for a machine to use mainly with a frame I would suggest the JUKI. I would also suggest looking at sewingmachineplus.com for the very best price. [check out the price of the Janome also]No charge for shipping and were very fast at getting it to me. I know I will be buying more from this store. Mary M

Originally Posted by LJBallard
The topic has been brought up and the O.K. given to look for a new quilting/sewing machine. I am looking at the Janome 1600. I will be using it on a frame my husband has built for me. I am wondering about the deals that are made at a quilt show. What are the changes that I will actually get a great deal or should I look local, ebay or buy somewhere else?
Laura