Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Housework vs. Quilting >

Housework vs. Quilting

Housework vs. Quilting

Old 09-27-2010, 09:28 AM

I HAVE to clean before I can quilt! I mop 2 times a week, clean the bathrooms every other day, vaccum daily, and do laundry and such daily. I just can't relax knowing the house isn't clean! I still find time to quilt though! LOL Having only one child at home is a lot easier than 3.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:32 PM

I have to admit that I do like a clean house and it is so much easier to keep that way with only one child at home. It was a strugle when all 6 were home but I assigned chores to each child and things were kept pretty clean. My sewing room is my own creative mess....I call it organized chaos!!
Old 09-27-2010, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

I do keep the laundry done and try to keep up with everything a little each day and clean the floors on Mondays, just sweep several times a day otherwise. I don't like messy or dirty and I sew everyday. Dining room gets messy when I quilt but, only takes a few minutes to clear it out.
Old 09-27-2010, 05:05 PM

I try to keep up with the cleaning, but it is always hit and miss. I'm bipolar, and when the bad days come, I can't accomplish anything...and things get a little messy. DH helps a lot (and does all the laundry), but I agree with the poster who said that since they're home, they feel an obligation to keep the house really nice. I feel the obligation, just can't always do it. I figure as long as the Health Department hasn't surrounded the place with yellow CAUTION tape, it's OK for now. Problem is, I can't quilt unless everything feels "caught up" and it never seems to be.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:43 PM

I have a trivet that says "My house is clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy". Sometimes it does cross that line. If I had company more often, it would get cleaned more often. My favorite book is "Nobody said you have to eat off the floor". Her basic premise is that you will never get it all done, what looks good to me will be a mess to someone else. And when I die, no one will say "What a clean house she kept". But they might say "look at the beautiful quilt she made for me".
Old 09-28-2010, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by amma
A clean kitchen and bathroom is a must for me... the rest? it can wait until I am ready to get to it :D:D:D
Me too. :oops:
Old 09-28-2010, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
Originally Posted by skydiver70
I think I will just start hanging the sign: "My house was clean yesterday, sorry you missed it!"
LOVE IT... LOVE IT..... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Love your sign! My sign reads:
"Welcome"
"Come on it, sit yourself down. Enjoy! My house doesn't always look like this, sometimes it's worse."

My motto: Wash dishes, Make bed, Sew!
Old 09-28-2010, 02:45 AM

[quote=KwiltyKahy]I have a trivet that says "My house is clean enough to be healthy and dirty enough to be happy". Sometimes it does cross that line. If I had company more often, it would get cleaned more often. My favorite book is "Nobody said you have to eat off the floor". Her basic premise is that you will never get it all done, what looks good to me will be a mess to someone else. And when I die, no one will say "What a clean house she kept". But they might say "look at the beautiful quilt she made for me".[/quote

There, you said it all! :P
Old 09-28-2010, 03:26 AM

quilting. We have someone who come every other week to do the kitchen and bath. I hate house work almost as much as cooking. If my husband did not cook I would starve.

I don't feel guilty ever for the choice I make. LOL
Old 09-28-2010, 03:52 AM

I straighten up every a.m. and dust/vac etc when needed. With just two of us and our puppies, who don't shed, the house stays pretty good.
However, I need to get rid of a couple of other irons in the fire that have been taking too much of my time lately - chores I took on for a museum mostly. I worked the past two days to get rid of them.
I am working on a beautiful quilt w/tulips in the 4 corners of each block and sashing in between. The colors are offwhite/spring green/crocus purple - all solid Konas. I am doing it in panels and sewing them directly to the batting and backing - sort of quilt as you go. I will be doing some hand quilting of a design on the sashing, maybe a feather or a heart border type pattern. This is queen size because it is for my 10 y.o. GD and she has an antique white iron bed.
I already have a top made for my GS in royal blue/white bears paw & flying geese border. This also has sashing which I will hand quilt on. This one was all together before I hit on the idea of putting the panels directly on the backing/batting. I will stitch in the ditch to hold the panels and then do the borders and sashing.
SOOOO I better not get involved in anything else although my husband has been asking me about bows for Christmas wreaths for the boy scouts. So far he has only asked me how to make them. I got him some instructions off the web. LOL