Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Bag bottoms >

Bag bottoms

Bag bottoms

Old 10-12-2010, 09:06 AM

Thought I was being lazy by not taking ANOTHER trip to Joann's and using what I already had(plastic canvas). I feel so much better now...as usual!
Old 10-12-2010, 09:46 AM

dh goes to our local home depot... it's 1/8 " thick by 4x4 sheet.. you use it for bottoms in dressers and etc.. its a dark brown color.. I don't know the term name for it. It's 2 bucks and change for a sheet.. dh cuts it into about 16 pieces.. so very cheap and it is soooo sturdy.. you could use it as a defense board if need be!!! lol
anyways.. that is what i use in mine.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:58 AM

I make mine into a pillowcase and then you can take out the foarm core board and wash everything. I also use 1/4" plywood and DH cuts it to fit into my pillowcase.
Originally Posted by JoAnnGC
I use foam core poster board from Hobby Lobby or the local dollar store. I make a fabric sleeve to fit snugly over it and then hot glue or slip stitch the open end closed. This is inexpensive and can be cut easily with an exacto or razor knife.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:08 AM

I was telling a friend about what I did with old college textbooks that absolutely no one wants -- sit in front of the TV ripping out the pages for recycling. She said I should have used the covers for bag inserts. Next time...
Old 10-12-2010, 10:35 AM

I make tote bags for stitchers/quilters. I went to Lowe's and bought an 8'x8' 1/8" plywood sheet and had them cut it into the size pieces I needed for my tote bags (9"x15"). I got 30 bottoms out of that sheet. The sheet of plywood cost me $10. I cover the plywood with a coordinating fabric to go with the bag. That covered bottom is removable for washing the bag. If you want to unstaple the cover you can to wash that cover. If you go to this website - madstitcher.com - and look under accessories then go to The Bag Lady you will see these bags. I took my tote bag with me as my carry on when we went to Hawaii last spring and it fits very nicely under the seat.
Kiki in NC
Old 10-12-2010, 11:09 AM

Thank you for this one. I know you've made many bags and I would follow whatever you recommend! You are one talented lady!
Susan
Old 10-12-2010, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by colleen53
dh goes to our local home depot... it's 1/8 " thick by 4x4 sheet.. you use it for bottoms in dressers and etc.. its a dark brown color.. I don't know the term name for it. It's 2 bucks and change for a sheet.. dh cuts it into about 16 pieces.. so very cheap and it is soooo sturdy.. you could use it as a defense board if need be!!! lol
I meant to hit the quote to reply to your comment. I have followed you on this website for quite a while. Thank you for always sharing.
Susan
Old 10-12-2010, 12:28 PM

Vera bags are washable but you have to take out the board before you launder it.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:30 PM

I use matte board ( like you would use to put around a picture) I make a fabric sleeve for it. Inexpensive if you buy a huge sheet of it.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by susie601
Originally Posted by colleen53
I meant to hit the quote to reply to your comment. I have followed you on this website for quite a while. Thank you for always sharing.
Susan
you are very kind... hubby also rounds the corners on the boards for me .. he loves to see each "birthing"..lol
i also make matching sleeves to put in bottom of bag.
i also use "no sew" glue to close opening and to close opening on the sleeve.. i have some weights that i sit on the bag opening until it sets..