Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Returning to Wal-Mart : Report from Wall Street. >

Fabric Returning to Wal-Mart : Report from Wall Street.

Fabric Returning to Wal-Mart : Report from Wall Street.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:24 AM

Wal mart only has projects with the material! & 3 yard packs of material, Fat quarters, Jelly rolls, cut squares & the flannel, Fleece, & cuts ready to use for a pattern! Now that is here in Richmond, VA
Old 10-17-2010, 12:19 PM

I am sooooo glad. I travel to many states in our great country and I purchase most of my material at WalMart. I check the fabric department most times. I will make a list and and put on the board if you would like.

Most stores I have been in do have a full fabric department.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:30 PM

Marlene, try the one in Travelers Rest. It seems to be better than the others around Greenville
I know what you mean about having to go across town as I hate going where Hancocks is at.
Originally Posted by marlene tarzwell
I so pray that this is true. My favorite WM has downsized a little and started getting party items back there in stead of keeping everything up front with the stationery Dept. where it had been.My sweet fabric dept. lady will be happy if this will happen.And I will be elated cause I really don't go to our One Hancocks, unless I have too.[It is on the other side of the city and a hassle for me.] Thank goodness that maybe the corp. had awakened and listened to its faithful customers!!!!!YEAAAAAA!!!!!
Old 10-17-2010, 12:32 PM

I was told just last week that WM here is going to keep material. We are all very grateful for them keeping the material. It was really a win for all of us here who sew and quilt.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:45 PM
e4

Please note that Walmart is not returning fabric to all stores. Here is a quote from an article done September 1 after an interview with Walmart Executives. It points out the fact that Walmart will not be putting bolt fabric in all stores - just in those where they think the locals want it.

>>
A lot more than six miles of roadway separates the Seffner Walmart from its companion Walmart in Brandon, Fla. Among the Seffner offerings prominently on display: 5-gallon jugs of "Big John's" pickled sausages, $3 camouflage baseball hats and $8 ladies housedresses. A 3,000-square-foot section of the store sells yarn, craft supplies and fabric by the yard.
Just down the road in Brandon, however, the Walmart Supercenter proudly displays a row of $1,500 HDTVs, hip college clothing, and not a single bolt of fabric.
That stark difference between rural and urbane is exactly what Walmart executives want now from their stores. The world's largest retailer is on a mission to become a neighborhood-style store.
>>

What this means is that all your calls and complaints may make a difference - but I would talk to the manager of the local store, get the name of the regional manager to write to, AND send letters/e-mails to corporate.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:47 PM

I was at Walmart just a few days ago, buying fabric. I have noticed that they brought in some of the fabric packages that just hang on the wall, as well as a bin of $1/per yard bolts of fabric I can't imagine using for anything. I feared this was the beginning of the closing of my Walmart's fabric dept., but the gal cutting my fabric said she knew of no plans for them to close that dept. I'm so relieved!
Old 10-17-2010, 12:52 PM

this is very good news, but don't hold your breath....the walmart on one end of Cypress Gardens blvd. , brand new, and huge, does not sell fabric,,however, the one on the north end of winter haven does......I am in the middle,,,,,,,aren't I lucky!!!!! The fabric is good quality ,,, make sure you know it is 100% cotton tho.

hope this works ,,, we need all the fabric supplies we can get.

there arae 2 very good LQS where I live, but really pricey....classes are also pricey........ however, I love the winters there, and don't miss snow in Michigan.

jacie
Old 10-17-2010, 01:20 PM

I was in the walmart in Lewisburg, PA today. A couple of weeks ago there were just a few bins in the middle of the aisles marked closeout. When I was there today it looked like a fabric shop had just landed. Who says women don't have power??
Old 10-17-2010, 02:20 PM

I would love it if our Hannibal,Mo get's material good 100%cotton for quilts I can't afford no $12.50 or higher per yard for quilting material and I love [email protected]
Old 10-17-2010, 02:33 PM

We did it! I am Quilter, hear me roar!!