Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Did any of you have a HOPE CHEST? >

Did any of you have a HOPE CHEST?

Did any of you have a HOPE CHEST?

Old 10-20-2010, 08:16 AM

Let's try this again.... I ALWAYS wanted one... When each of my daughters turned 16, I bought them each one. I tried to teach them t crochet and embroidery but neither would have anything to do with either! I would bet my oldest no longer has hers, and probably second one doesn't either....some traditions are so sad to loose!
When my fiance's mother passed away several years ago, my fiance gave me her hope chest....then I lost him also,so this one really has special meaning to me!
Old 10-20-2010, 09:02 AM

I did have a hope chest. I stored much of the same items you did. Now it has my wedding gown from 42 years ago and items that my 3 kids made in their school days.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:14 AM

I had a Lane cedar chest in my bedroom growing up that had been my m-grandparents. Grandpa had gotten it for his fiance for a wedding gift. I remember it having quilts that grandma's had made and then I added the things I made and collected to it. It stayed in my parents home in their guest room (my old bedroom) until they passed away and it was all moved to my house. The chest is in my bedroom, filled with my "special" things and bedroom furniture is in guest room. The bedroom set, mahogoney w/sleigh bed, had also been my grandparents and they had gotten it when they were married in 1901. I remember them every time I see it.
Wendy
Old 10-20-2010, 09:33 AM

Yes, I had one. Mine is made of camphor wood. My father bought it for me when he was on R&R from Vietnam in China. It smells wonderful after forty years. I can't remember what all I had in it, but I still keep stuff my grandmother made, and stuff from when my kids were babies that I'm going to give them when they have their own babies. I have my mother's cedar chest that was her hope chest too.

I always called it my "hopeless" chest.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:47 AM

No - never had one. But I always hoped to have one similar to Dolly Parton's - 44DD.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:02 AM

I had a hope chest items that as I remember I stored in the built in "blanket box" in the closet.
I had doily's crocheted by my grandmother. Condiment squit bottles shaped like a tomatoe, and other fruits, pot holders crocheted by GM, 2 sets of sheets, 2 towels, cup towels, (place setting of 4) of dishes, flatware and glasses. Oh yes I forgot the bowls and cups that you got out of oatmeal boxes. When my sister decided to also use the "blanket box' I raised a stink and she went to my Mother who informed us both that the Blanket Box was for her blankets and we would find some place else for our stash! I think I took mine to the barn and I really don't remember what happened to my wonderful stash from there. Funny the memories of my sister this brought back.
Wini - House of BCC in Houston
Old 10-20-2010, 10:26 AM

Great memories. I had a hope chest for my winter clothing my parents gave me for Christmas. I want one to put the things I am making for my oldest grandson.
Yes I said grandson. I think he will marry in the next few yrs. I can't keep in my motor home. I need my space for my materials & sewing needs.
My youngest son now 44 has mine. He refinished it & it is so pretty.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:45 AM

we got a certificate for graduation, good for a LANE mini HC,'bout the size of a stack of business enevelopes, still got it. wanted a REAL one, real bad-my cousin that I babysat for(MEGA HRS)found one at a garage sale for $5.00 she bought it for me.My cousin from FLA talked me into painting it white, to hide to4" stain of lipstick,ect. Only started,when my DAD saved me from myself! I had turned 16 by then. It is the last thing my father refinished, before he died of a heart attack that year!I have a beautiful CAVALIER blanket chest, cedar lined, waterfall top, w/inlaid wood, & key lock, instead of a white pc of junk!--makes me think of him everyday,even still,43 years later!
Old 10-20-2010, 11:16 AM

I got all my kids Hope Chests. Started when they were 15, asked what they wanted, bought things on sale. My first asked for lemons for her kitchen, I still find small plaques, new dish towels, scrubbie holder, and get them for her. Even for college or a first apartment--towels, cookware, rugs, sheets and blankets bought on sale are a good starter pack. My co-worker asked if boys got Hope Chests too, my answer was an emphatic YES! and that I called them hope you move out chests. :-D
Old 10-20-2010, 11:46 AM

Yes, my Grandmother helped me start mine with hand embordiary towels with hand make lace. A set of unfinished towels for the day of the week she taught me how to finish. She gave me many more things which I still have to this day in a special drawer. She has been gone a long time but she is still with me when I think about the gifts she gave and taught me. Thanks for reminding me of her. Gail