Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
a sensitive quilt question >

a sensitive quilt question

a sensitive quilt question

Old 11-05-2010, 01:04 PM

I agree with what a lot of members have already said. A nice cheerful lap or comfort quilt would be lovely.

Personally - I don't think a memory quilt is a good idea.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:35 PM

I agree with Spring. A comfort quilt says a lot about love, and comfort. I would tell her something like "I made this quilt especially for you, hoping it would give comfort to you". I don't think I would say anything else because I believe she will know exactly what you are talking about. How sweet and loving you are to want to do that for her.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:21 AM

I love my mom. After she died of old age, I picked up my new Rx glasses that came in a pretty green eye glass case. Every time I looked at that case, I started crying, because it was my mom's favorite color. I had to get rid of it. If someone had given me a memory quilt for her, I would have put it in a pillow case and buried it deep in a closet somewhere. Just my 2 cents....
Old 11-06-2010, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by sewdarnbusy
I love my mom. After she died of old age, I picked up my new Rx glasses that came in a pretty green eye glass case. Every time I looked at that case, I started crying, because it was my mom's favorite color. I had to get rid of it. If someone had given me a memory quilt for her, I would have put it in a pillow case and buried it deep in a closet somewhere. Just my 2 cents....
My mom's favorite color was red, and I think of her with joy whenever I wear the color myself. I hope one day you can do the same with the color green. I'll be thinking of you...
Old 11-07-2010, 09:21 PM

Comfort quilt would be nice.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Just my opinion, but right now I would make a comfort quilt. Later...I would consider a memory quilt.
My thoughts entirely.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:21 PM

Personally, I would prefer a comfort quilt to a memory quilt. I'm sure the fact that her mom committed sucicide as a result of fighting a lifetime of depression is something she is not going to want to be reminded of. Rather than put many welll meaning hours into a memory quilt that might get shoved in a closet, why not make the comfort quilt that she will cherish. She will remember your thoughtfullness for years to come. How she decides to remember her MOM should be left up to her-it probably is going to be quite a difficult and painful process.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Spring
My mother has had a very long battle with depression and threatens to take her life at least three times a year. If I ever end up in your SIL shoes a memory quilt would be hard to handle. I think that a comfort quilt would mean the world to her right now.
I agree. my mum is sick with heart problems and I could not see her face looking at me every day in a quilt. Later when you think she will cope with the loss.