Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Horrible Quilting Class >

Horrible Quilting Class

Horrible Quilting Class

Old 11-07-2010, 09:46 AM

If i lived closer i would be more than glad to help.I'm no teacher just a person who loves people and sewing
Old 11-07-2010, 10:04 AM
Power Poster

Juliana, I'm glad you're not soured on all quilting classes but sorry you had a bad experience with this one. 22 women is too many for one class, and knowing how to thread your machine and wind a bobbin should be a requirement for everyone in a quilting class. Those things should be covered in the (usually) free lessons you get when you buy a TOL machine.

SherryLea, you might also check to see if there are any guilds in your area. I don't think I would have ever progressed beyond a single block if it weren't for the help and support of other quilters. Also go to the fabric stores around you, ask them about a beginning quilting class, and ask to see what you would be making, what skills you would learn, etc. If you already have those particular skills, look for a more advanced class. Ask who the teacher is, and how much experience she has teaching, how big the classes are, etc. Most of the classes I have taken were very good. After the first class (which was for beginners, and believe me that's what I was), most of the classes have been geared toward a particular skill, like hand applique, hand quilting, paper piecing, etc.
Old 11-07-2010, 10:46 AM

My first quilting "class" was at my local senior center. Turned out the
teacher did not teach anything, but the encouragement of the other
ladies was wonderful. I was a new widow at the time & I did not realize that quilting cost money. I thought you just used what you had & sewed it into a quilt. LOL.

So, the ladies brought me scraps & I bought 1/2 yard of fabric with pictures of cute little bears doing cute things & I put one in the center of each crazy quilt square. Used an old flannel sheet for backing & hand
quilted it into a beautiful twin sized quilt for my then 6 year old grandson, who has loved it to death.

And I met one special lady there who became one of my very best friends for the past 8 years.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:01 AM

After having some less than satisfactory experiences at quilt classes, I've learned a few things.

First of all I ask lots of questions and examine class samples to see if this really anything I want to learn. I request a supply list and if there are too many specialized items that I will have to buy I think harder about the class.

For me, I don't take too many classes because I find it discouraging to start a wonderful project, take it home and not finish it for months because of other pending projects that have to get done. (like for Christmas!)

Regardless, I'm sorry you had a disappointing class and hope it represents a minority of quilt classes.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:19 AM

Sorry you had such a bad experience. I have only taken a few classes over the years. My biggest complaint was that they show you how to start something but the class often ends before you get to the part about finishing. At one time I worked for a Bernina dealer. She had me work up a beginner quilting class. The first thing I planned to teach was the actual quilting process both by hand and machine. I made up single blocks of fabric that were sandwhiched and had a simple design drawn on them. If the students enjoyed doing the actual quilting then they were ready to invest in fabric, patterns and quilting tools. If they didn't like that step they were never going to finish a quilt. Over the years I have run into lots and lots of "quilters" who have made tops that were never quilted.

I often see quilts and quilted items being offered as classes in the shops I frequent. The first question I ask myself is do I need it and what would I do with it. I have a huge stash but very few UFOs. Being involved in the Linus Project has given me an excuse to purchase children's fabric. My own grandchildren are teenagers and would turn up their nose at childish fabrics.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
... If the students enjoyed doing the actual quilting then they were ready to invest in fabric, patterns and quilting tools. If they didn't like that step they were never going to finish a quilt. Over the years I have run into lots and lots of "quilters" who have made tops that were never quilted.
I understand what you mean, because I knew as soon as I started quilting that I would have to complete the project from start to finish in order to consider it "mine". I feel the same way about buying a kit. (You mean someone else gets to select the fabrics? That's not any fun.) Yet I have lots of friends who thoroughly enjoy piecing or applique (and are very good at it), but they don't enjoy quilting, so they don't do it. Most of their quilts go to a longarmer, but sometimes they do get pushed into a closet. In my opinion, they are still quilters.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:57 AM

Thanks everyone! I make quilts now for Linus Project, quilt with a group at church where we pray as we sew, and still sew for family, friends and theater. Yes, we did state our opinions about the class to the store owner and she replied that "there are always some grumps". Needless to say I have not been back. Wish Walmart still sold fabric as i often found good buys there. I'm itching to be stitching now but have to get back to cleaning the garage. Thanks again :)
Old 11-07-2010, 12:02 PM
Power Poster

When I take a class I want to learn something. I don't really care what others are doing or saying. At times I dropped out of a class too when it didn't meet my expectation.

Admittedly, I have a really nice machine and am very happy about that, but I did take the classes that came with the machine. Anyone who knows anything about machines recognizes the Beamers and Merzedeses of the quiltworld. No need to brag about them. I have seen the most wonderful creations made with an entry-level machine.

Hope your next class is better.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:14 PM

Im sorry you had such a bad experience. I love taking classes. I just took one from one of the quilters on this Board, Susan. She did a great job on the OWB.

Right now I am taking the Stitcher's Garden, which is a quilt that teaches you how to use all the feet and accessories that come with your machine. In some ways, you could look at this as one long advertisement, because they are demo'ing it on their TOL machine EXCEPT they are nice about showing you the procedure even on your machine which is the important part. I have learned alot about twin needles, cording, piping, QAYG.

Maybe you should take a class with a friend. That is what I do sometimes.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by SherryLea
I have tried to teach myself but really need to take a class, I wish I could find someone to come to my house and sit with me and answer the many questions I have. I am so afraid to go to a class as I do not know how to do so many things you should know. I have made several quilts, but nothing like the beautiful ones I see on this forum. Mine are more just squares sewed together and attached to batting and a backing.
Where do you live in Texas? I live in Oklahoma on the Red River near Denison, TX. If you are close, I'd love to help.