Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many sewing machines do you ahve? >

How many sewing machines do you ahve?

How many sewing machines do you ahve?

Old 06-09-2008, 07:53 AM

Gee I wasn't going to post here because i thought I had to many machines

My newest machine is a new Kenmore not real expensive, next another kenmore late 80's and a 70 kenmore.

I have my grandmothers 1926 singer, a singer 401, a 348, and one other.

I also have two odd ball offbrands

thats 9 oh my :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :oops: :oops: :oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 06-09-2008, 09:11 AM

I have a Singer 201 that I quilt with (nice large throat), a Singer 15-91 that I use for real heavy duty stuff, a Necchi that I am not using at the moment and a real nice Dressmaker 2400 that I use for piecing and other sewing.
Lisa, try www.sewusa.com for info on your Dressmaker
Ruthie
Old 06-09-2008, 09:50 AM

Hi I just googled Singer Featherwieghts,and someone here mentioned wanting a red Featherweight,but according to this site,if there is a red one one it has been repainted. Singer never made any colors other than Black,Beige/tan and White/green.it is a very interesting site,he has some for sale also
Old 06-09-2008, 10:26 AM

Your correct. Anything other than tan, black and the celery/white is a machine that has been painted. Usually they are the black ones that have so many blemishes on them or un-usable as they are that repair guys/gals will recondition them and then repaint in glorious colors all dressed up with new decals. Some will tell you that it downgrades them but try to find a colored one that is equal $$'s to or less than an original 221. Not possible. If you ever follow them on ebay, you will see that the colored are in the 700-800 range verses the normal ones at 300-450. My blacks were from 200-350. My white one was 550. Don't even ask what the free arm 222 was. Even my husband doesn't know, not that he really cares.

I have one that had lots of missing pieces and is in the process of getting new/used parts. When I get it back, it will be shipped to a guy that will paint it red for me. He has a website showing many he's already done. So I'll send it to him.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:07 AM
Bev

8) I have six.
But that may be misleading because I actually only use three.
I have three Singers. All are antiques and are never used. One is a teeny-tiny one made for hat making. This was inherited from my DH's dad who was a NY hatmaker supreme. The other is a bulky one that was used mainly for embroidery. It has those drop in things which are so hard to figure out. I inherited it from my daughter's MIL. Another came over on the boat from Germany after WW2 with a relative of my daughter's hubby.
As for the three others, they are my working machines. I have a Kenmore my husband bought for me when we first married. I use it, but mostly on an emergency basis. I like to say it's semi-retired. It was all I had for many years and still runs like a dream. God love it.
I have two Janomes. A Jem Gold. And a Jem Platinum. These are my work horses. I take the Jemmy Gold with me to classes and use the other for home, but usually both are set up on my sewing table. It's handy for me to do that.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:32 AM
Bev

8)
In reading all of these posts I realize a sort of pattern is forming. It almost seems as though we keep our machines because they represent more than just sewing to us. In my case I know for sure that I keep my very old Kenmore because it reminds me of the beginning of my marriage. How poor we were and still my husband managed to scrape up the money to buy me my heart's desire for my birthday. I would never let it go and I keep it in primo condition. We (some of us) keep our machines because they are more than just sewing machines to us. They sometimes represent a special time in our lives, or a special person, or a new baby who is now the parent of our grandchildren. What do y'all think?
Old 06-10-2008, 06:53 AM

I have 3. A antique singer,portable that is so rusted it can't be used. It was given to me by a neighbor. I cleaned it up and use it as a decoration. It sits on top of a brick column in my sewing room.
A antique treadle new home in fantastic shape. I have to find me a belt for it.
Then I have my Kenmore that I love dearly. It does everything I ask of it. I would like a Long arm that is my deepest desire right now. LOL.
Billsbonbon
Old 06-10-2008, 08:46 AM

The machines that I have;

A really old single needle machine with forward and reverse that was used in New York sewing industry by a young woman who engraved her name onto the bed of the machine. This was her livelyhood. I will always keep it.

I also have 6 domestic machines, 1 embroidery machine, 5 sergers,
4 commercial machines and probably some I can't remember. I gave away 2 last year to new sewers.

Yes, I use all my machines for different applications.

I also have 5 knitting machines with all their goodies.

Life is so good!!!

I am always willing to share my workroom with others and teach them how to sew or knit.

Joyce
Old 06-10-2008, 09:49 AM

Visited hubby's toy box (our pole barn) and saw a sewing machine sitting on the floor. I immediately was drawn to it and now have a Thompson industrial. I need to clean it up and check it out but I have 2 wips almost complete, so it can wait another week.

Stepson got it from a relative and wanted to use it on car interiors. I told him i would practice on the fabric I got to recover my swing cushions. they think I will do the car covers, but I will show them how to do it themselves, i certainly don't need any more jobs. :)
Old 06-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Banned

I have 4. Two regular sewing machines, but both have embroidery modules, a combo serger/coverstitch machine, and a stand alone coverstitch machine (just added). None of them get neglected :mrgreen: