Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem??? >

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Have any other male quilters on this board had this problem???

Old 12-07-2010, 09:50 PM

Hey Chris,
I am a male quilter too. I did costuming for theater for 15 years before I started quilting. But, I did have the same treatment, it was like trying to break in to the good ole girls club. BUT eventually I got my foot in the door and now I have lots of good friends at the local shop, so hang in there. Where do you live Chris?
I'd love to help if I could.
R
Old 12-08-2010, 12:37 AM

Hi Chris I am from Australia I wish we could get more men interested in Quilting ovrer here, as males have such different views on pattern colours etc. You only have to look at the males already quilting. Hang in there and keep quilting. Not worth visiting those shops. I walked out of one recently because the sales girl was so rude because I am older. Have been quilting 30 years so it is not only on your side of the world. Carmen
Old 12-08-2010, 12:38 AM

Maybe they're afraid of the competition. I've been checking out the quilts done by men on-line and have been amazed at the beautiful quilts they do. I think men have really good spatial abilities, I especially love quilts done by engineers. At my LQS one of the best quilters is a young man who does unbelievably beautiful hand work.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:37 AM

Chris, please google Arkansas Man Quilter. He has a blog associated with a quilt guild in Hot Springs, AR and regularly posts things about fabrics, patterns, techniques, etc. He, too, is a married man, and quilting is an adaptation of his original career. I don't know if Chris is on this message board/chat, but following him on his own blog might be helpful to you. Best wishes, and good luck!
Old 12-08-2010, 03:48 AM

You better come live by me, I think my quilt shops are nonbiased. Our Joannes has men working too.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:25 AM

Chris, am apalled that the LQS treated you like that. Given the hard times small businesses are having, their attitude doesn't even make sense.
I met a really nice couple at Quilter's R and R, a retreat here in Ga. Glen does the most wonderful work and so does his wife.
Sometimes you need to show 'tude, as in I'm here, I want your help and I am a quilter! Maybe once they get past the gender hangup you should make more quilter buddies.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:43 AM

Hello Chris, It's so nice that you like to quilt. It is such a great creative outlet. Some quilt shops (like our local shop) have men as owners or co-owners. Too bad you don't have one of those nearby. I would think they would be okay with you in classes as no one has to be alone with a stranger, male or female. Happy Quilting:)
Old 12-08-2010, 05:59 AM

Chris, I am so sorry you are having that problem, I think it is totally unfair. I am amazed at the quilts the men do on the board. I think they take a different approach to quilting and I learn so much from them. My favorite quilt store is owened and operated by two men. They are so talented and helpfull. You know you always are welcome here, I hope you find a local store that appreciates your talent as we do. Carol
Old 12-08-2010, 08:54 AM

Hey, Chris, my husband quilts with me. I depend upon him for accurate cuts with the rotary cutter, and he depends upon me for the right color combinations. He goes into quilt shops with me and never has a problem.

I was in two wonderful shops in Indiana, Indianapolis, Northwest side recently and loved them. They were well known shops, voted the best in the area and not hard to find. Very friendly. Staff was very friendly. I get emails from both now. Try, try again. We all have bad days. Smile. Ask questions.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by klgreene
So sorry this is happening to you. I think it is great when a man works on things that are usully considered in a woman's world. My dad used to cross stitch and he did a much better job than I did. When I was in high school, a 100 years ago, I wanted to take Shop, but that was the "boys world". But that didn't stop me from building a lot of things. So you just keep hanging in there and I would go back to the LQS and tell them, I am serious about taking this class, this is discrimination, so when does the class start!!!!!
Someone mentioned earlier about a guy that was turned down to join a guild. Well, that was me. Yes, it is discrimination and as much as I'd like to throw that in their faces I don't. I don't want to force myself into a group that doesn't want me. I don't have to prove myself to anyone!!! Either accept me or don't. It's their loss for not having me. I could be a great contributor and THEY are the ones missing out.

Chris, if there's anything I can do to help you out I will be more than willing. I get tons of help from all the friendly men and women on this site. I've given up on finding a guild. I get everything I need right here (except for the in person comroderie) and wouldn't trade it for anything. It's just a matter of shopping around until you find just the right group that's willing to accept you without any reservations. Good luck because there are shops and guilds out there that are very accepting and accommodating to men. You will find one soon enough. Or you could just give up like I did and get everything you need right here on the board.

Oh, I know what you mean about needing the one on one learning experience. I'm legally blind and going more blind all the time. I have always been a visual learner. It's been a challenge, but I am learning to learn a new way of learning, lol. Necessity is the Mother of invention. You will find your way, just don't give up! You have me and all the board supporting you. Good luck!