Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Can these numbers be right. >

Can these numbers be right.

Can these numbers be right.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:49 PM

I only buy precuts when they are on clearance or on special at Missouri Quilt. Otherwise they are just too expensive!
Old 12-17-2010, 12:53 PM

I only buy precuts when they are on clearance or on special at Missouri Quilt. Otherwise they are just too expensive!
Old 12-17-2010, 06:32 PM

Yes, OzarksGma, I am thankful for my LQS and was shocked as I saw her inventory go down the last couple months. Yet, I understand that inventory counting is coming right along with the holidays so am hoping the shop stocks back up with many fabric choices after the first of the year. Hopefully, this is not a hint of the lack of business; it would be a disaster for me if the LQS closed.

As for the convenience of pre-cut fabrics, that is something I do not cater to. I love the leftovers for strip quilting charity quilts and my fingers are happy too. Using cheaper fabrics is just too hard on me with cracks, etc. Both ways, I have plenty of fabric to cut with my brand new AccuQuiltGo and the leftovers will make a quality charity quilt.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:47 PM

I always calculate the price before I buy pre-cuts and I've never paid more than a few cents over the per-yard price. Maybe I'm not figuring it the right way, but I'm happy so I prefer to live in the twilight zone of fabric calculations.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:13 PM

Due to a stroke years ago I like precuts. I have not bought jelly rolls yet because they are little pricey. But if I could have all my strips precut for my sashing I will be in hog heaven.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:34 PM

I agree with others. It is the option of having coordinating fabrics from a whole line, verus me pulling 40 different fabrics from my stash and cutting one 10 inch square from each. This would be scrappy and not coordinating. See the difference? I have only bought a few jelly rolls so far, but would buy layer cakes if I found a good deal on beautiful fabric.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:56 PM

I only buy precuts on eBay and have gotten better prices than that, but still probably not as cheap as yardage. I gave them as gifts to a quilting friend.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:45 PM
Power Poster

yes your calculations seem right. As in anything, you pay for the convenience of someone else cutting and matching fabric.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:38 PM

Anytime you have someone else do some of the work for you it's more expensive.. A cut up chicken is more expensive than a whole chicken that you have to cut up yourself.. Salad in a bag is much more expensive than buying a head of lettuce, some red cabbage, and carrots and putting it together yourself.. Even grated cheese costs more than a block you grate. So it shouldn't be a surprise that a pre-cut fabric bundle would be more expensive.. Some of these things are worth the price for the convenience, other times it makes better sense to cut it yourself. I guess what matters most is how much money do you have to spend, and how much time do you have... Even though I don't like it I sometimes have bought a bag of salad fixings because I just didn't have the time.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:32 PM

IMHO, it's all about the variety. I cannot find 40 coordinating fabrics all that easily, not to mention the cost of my time. Now, I do enjoy the "hunt"...finding just the right fabrics to go with my focus fabric, but there is a lot time involved, and there is the expense and storage of all the left-over fabrics when you purchase quarter or half yard cuts or more for quilts you are making.

My daughter does not have the time, money or space that I am blessed to have, so I have encouraged her to use pre-cuts so she can get right to her piecing and quilting. Plus, there are great patterns and books designed for pre-cuts now. How wonderful that we quilters have so many options!