Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pulling interfacing off of fabric >

Pulling interfacing off of fabric

Pulling interfacing off of fabric

Old 12-16-2010, 11:52 PM

So I get down to cutting up the last t-shirt of my quilt and fusing interfacing to my last two pieces. The front side of the shirt went off without a hitch. The backside, however...well, not so much. When I turned the piece over after fusing the interfacing I noticed the huge crease I had somehow pressed in. Must of occured during the fusing process as I ironed and pressed the wrinkles out before applying the interfacing. So not only did I make this HUGE crease, I had bonded it in place thanks to the fusible interfacing.

I freaked.

Thank God for the Internet! I Googled "how to remove pellon interfacing from fabric" and the answer I got was to re-iron the interfacing and peel off the fabric while its still hot. It worked, but for a piece of that size it took FOREVER. I spent at least half and hour steaming the heck out of that fabric in one spot and carefully peeling off the interfacing while it was still hot.

I think its okay. It doesn't look like it stretched too much (if at all). But I'm giving it an overnight break before ironing it again and fusing a different piece of interfacing to it. Its been through enough for one night!
Old 12-17-2010, 12:26 AM

Good for you. I usually fuse from the front side with a pressing sheet. Working with t-shirt material can be tricky. Some is stretchier and thinner than others.

There are some times that walking away for the night is the best method. Tomorrow will be a better day.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:30 AM

You have done the best thing possible! Bet you feel a huge sense of relief that you were able to get the interfacing off - I probably wouldn't have perservered like that!
Old 12-17-2010, 12:51 AM

Good for you. Yes, you can find almost anything on the internet.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by scowlkat
You have done the best thing possible! Bet you feel a huge sense of relief that you were able to get the interfacing off - I probably wouldn't have perservered like that!
You have no idea. I cringed everytime I pulled interfacing off. Sometimes it would come off very easily and other times it was harder because the interfacing was still slighty stuck to the fabric. I was so happy I could get it off without overstretching the fabric.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
So I get down to cutting up the last t-shirt of my quilt and fusing interfacing to my last two pieces. The front side of the shirt went off without a hitch. The backside, however...well, not so much. When I turned the piece over after fusing the interfacing I noticed the huge crease I had somehow pressed in. Must of occured during the fusing process as I ironed and pressed the wrinkles out before applying the interfacing. So not only did I make this HUGE crease, I had bonded it in place thanks to the fusible interfacing.

I freaked.

Thank God for the Internet! I Googled "how to remove pellon interfacing from fabric" and the answer I got was to re-iron the interfacing and peel off the fabric while its still hot. It worked, but for a piece of that size it took FOREVER. I spent at least half and hour steaming the heck out of that fabric in one spot and carefully peeling off the interfacing while it was still hot.

I think its okay. It doesn't look like it stretched too much (if at all). But I'm giving it an overnight break before ironing it again and fusing a different piece of interfacing to it. Its been through enough for one night!
i need to make a t-shirt quilt - tell me the name/weight of fusible interfacing please

misseva
Old 12-18-2010, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by misseva
Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess

I freaked.

i need to make a t-shirt quilt - tell me the name/weight of fusible interfacing please

misseva
You can use any lightweight fusible. I'm using Pellon...I didn't specifically pick out that brand. It just happened to be the brand on the fusible interfacing I grabbed.