Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What quilt patterns could be labeled as a wedding quilt? >

What quilt patterns could be labeled as a wedding quilt?

What quilt patterns could be labeled as a wedding quilt?

Old 12-30-2010, 02:35 AM

i always make the double wedding ring for wedding gifts but would be interested in any easier pattern. what is the English one? also, how about the strip piecing method for ovals, what pattern? is there a short cut for all those little pieces that have to be cut for ovals? erma from Ks
Old 12-30-2010, 06:41 AM

My son just got engaged and I found quilt blocks that work with their names--I created a design that combined Jacob's ladder with Sarah's choice, and they loved the way it looked. I was lucky to find quilt blocks with their names. Here's my eq7 design--we'll probably use more color variation--not sure yet, but they like it, so I'm good to go. Also, we've change the white border to be dark blue instead.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-150067.jpe  
Old 12-30-2010, 10:23 AM

OH!!! Reading about the quilt blocks based on the couples names...someone else made one combining the blocks of the states the couple was born or raised in. Of course, that only works if they were born in other states, but that could make it very personal.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Hinterland
I think you can make any pattern you want - what makes it a wedding quilt is the occasion and your intention.
I agree completely! Whatever would appeal to the couple will be just great!
Old 12-30-2010, 01:23 PM

Church Windows is very pretty....
Old 12-30-2010, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by carol45
My son just got engaged and I found quilt blocks that work with their names--I created a design that combined Jacob's ladder with Sarah's choice, and they loved the way it looked. I was lucky to find quilt blocks with their names. Here's my eq7 design--we'll probably use more color variation--not sure yet, but they like it, so I'm good to go. Also, we've change the white border to be dark blue instead.
Would you have the pattern for this quilt? It is beautiful.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:46 PM

I have a set of templates for the oval wedding rings they are pieced out of strips and than cut and works great. The pattern is complete for the wedding ring quilt and available in different sizes the one I use makes a 17 inch block I bought mine at a yard sale several years ago but have seen them in different mail order cat and also at quilt shops they are not cheap but are durable for rotary cutting and have lasted for years. The strips will vary in size and I have used a repeat pattern on each oval and also just a variety in the same color choices like any other quilt and both worked well.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by dgrindey
Originally Posted by carol45
Would you have the pattern for this quilt? It is beautiful.
I don't have the pattern completely worked out yet. It's only in the planning stages. You can find the Sarah's choice block at
http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpa...erns/Sarah.htm
and Jacob's ladder at
http://www.patternsfromhistory.com/b...ble_ladder.htm
or by doing a web search. They'll have to be assembled a bit differently for the overall design, and the sizes are different too. If you use eq7, I could send you the file.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:47 PM

Does your son and fiance have interests that you could incorporate into the quilt with fabric?

My youngest son is a musician, currently in his second year of college..going thru' for music teacher, his lady is is a sound board engineer. Cory is also keen on all things Japanese....he spent a year in Japan and is quite fluent. I have been stockpiling fabrics that are either music or oriental themed. So...no matter what pattern I make, the fabrics will suit them both.

Let us know what you come up with!!!

Patti
Old 12-30-2010, 04:56 PM
Power Poster

I think almost any pattern would be appreciated. Remember, the quilt will be used long after the wedding, so it is probably more important to choose something that the bride and groom will like, rather than something that "says" wedding.