Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What quilt patterns could be labeled as a wedding quilt? >

What quilt patterns could be labeled as a wedding quilt?

What quilt patterns could be labeled as a wedding quilt?

Old 12-29-2010, 06:31 PM

a double irish chain in brides colors always works well. i did a colorwash version for my cousin. the quilting doesn't show well in the picture but in the cream colored sections there are large celtic knots. both bride & groom love the quilt as it's not too fru fru for a man.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-149815.jpe  
Old 12-29-2010, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
my daughter's wedding quilt is a stained glass dragonfly quilt...and she sure thinks it is appropriate as her wedding quilt...in my mind any quilt you make...with the bride and groom in mind and give as a wedding gift is a wedding quilt...never thought about only specific patterns being ...
appropriate...
guess i don't pay attention to some '''rules?"'''
Wow - that is an awesome quilt
Old 12-29-2010, 07:07 PM

Everyone in my family to date has received a bearpaw in the cabin quilt in their favorite color for their wedding. I made 5 of them and got tired of the same pattern. My niece is getting a Wedding Star quilt in batiks (pattern by Judy Niemayer) for hers.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:26 PM

What about a bargello heart like this one I found online:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-149821.jpe  
Old 12-29-2010, 07:52 PM

I feel like any pattern you feel like would be special to them is appropriate. Like the couple with the dog named Bear is getting a Bear Claw quilt. Something that is particularly special to them.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:54 PM

When one of my “children” announced his pending wedding, I went into a spin. What to make? The circumstances for my children are a bit different from many of you, as they are all (18) former exchange students. They bounce back over the big pond to visit, and bring their perspective spouse home for approval. They are all as dear to me as any natural child could be.

So, Axel and Anjia announce their wedding over the phone, then send the follow-up invitation via mail. They specifically state that they want us in Germany for the wedding, but no gifts. I just had to make something. Now, keeping in mind that the sleeping system in Germany is different than here in the states, a traditional bed quilt would not have been appropriate. I thought about other occasions where they might use a quilt. Their balcony looks over the Swiss border. They ski, play tennis, and attend a lot of outdoor concerts and shows. I thought to myself, “Self, make a honeymoon quilt that they can use on the balcony when they sip their morning coffee, one that they could take to those chilly outdoor events, one which would be used for years to come, one which would be loved and appreciated. Make it something by which they could reminisce about their honeymoon”

Self was satisfied with the concept. The couple planned their honeymoon to be in Kenya. I made a jungle print patchwork. It started out being a lap quilt. Plan was to make two of them. Axel is a tall drink of water, and I decided if I were going to wrap up on my balcony, I’d want something which covered all of me, and could be shared with my beloved. Final size was what we consider a king.

To avoid all the commotion in the airports, the bundle remained unwrapped. It sat peacefully on the reception gift table. Many people glanced at it, then the commotion began. “What is it???” When Axel began looking, I went to his side and told him it was a honeymoon quilt. His puzzled look said enough. Call Anjia over I encouraged. Then, although it wasn’t gift time, they fully opened the quilt to the ooos and ahas and I began the rendition.

“My grandmother taught me that there were two kinds of honeymoon quilts. One was to remind you of the honeymoon, the other was something under which one would make babies.” He laughed, and began translating for the rest of the guests. I told him the choice was his. I also stipulated that it was to be used, not stored, suggesting the things I had in mind while making it. Naturally, he asked about all the pieces, “You cut the fabric then sewed it back together again?” The guests gathered in closer to examine the piece. Finally, one of them decided the name was “Petra.”

Days later, several cities away, I made it into a quilt shop. The proprietor, who spoke fluent English, and often went to the Houston shows, provided her pronunciation - patchwork.

After the honeymoon, when the thank you note arrived, Axel said they were already using their special honeymoon quilt. He did not specify under which circumstances.

His mother, who knows only one word of English, “Hello”, expressed in her own way, that she would like to have a work of such skill. She lives on the East Sea, and wants to have one for her balcony. After the wedding, my husband and I stayed in her resort condo, and the colors of her decor, and the nautical theme, are perfect for a fabric line which I had already had in my stash. Hers is a work in progress, pieced, ready to quilt.

While in the Heidelberg quilt shop, I was taken by a Star of Bethlehem, which had gotten a blue ribbon for the owner. I decided I would tackle one, though mine would probably be more than the 56 hours that she had spent. She had paper pieced it.
Now, I owe a wedding quilt to one of my former 4-H students. I was at Axel’s wedding when this young lady tied the knot. She has requested something in earth tones. I’m haunted by the Lone Star, and playing with it on my EQ6. I like the history of the star quilts, but unlike the Lakota and Amish, I want her to use it year round, or at least in our brief Southern winters.

Attached, I hope, are Axel and Anjia in their honeymoon quilt, and the Quilt which has inspired me to attempt the Lone Star.

Axel & Anjia with their Honeymoon Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]149836[/ATTACH]

an inspiration quilt from Heidelberg
[ATTACH=CONFIG]149838[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-149831.jpe   attachment-149833.jpe  
Old 12-29-2010, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by koko
I will be making a wedding quilt for my son and his fiance this year. I do not wish to make the double wedding ring as I made that a few years ago and do not wish to repeat the same pattern. Do you have any suggestions for patterns that might be appropriate as a wedding quilt?

Here is a link about the history of quilts- wedding quilts

http://www.quiltpatterns.org/wedding...-patterns.html

Hope this helps
Old 12-29-2010, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by koko
I will be making a wedding quilt for my son and his fiance this year. I do not wish to make the double wedding ring as I made that a few years ago and do not wish to repeat the same pattern. Do you have any suggestions for patterns that might be appropriate as a wedding quilt?
I made a Dresden Plate wedding quilt for my daughter when she got married three years ago. According to the book"American Patchwork and Quilting" by Better Homes and Gardens, the Dresden Plate pattern was also known as the "Bride's Quilt Pattern".
Old 12-29-2010, 09:23 PM

My mom made the drunkard's path for my wedding quilt. I wonder if there is some kind of message there. lol
Old 12-29-2010, 11:18 PM

The bargello double heart is beautiful