Downton Abbey

Old 01-03-2011, 09:50 AM

For those of you who will watch DowntonAbbey in USA, I would just like to say that the executives at PBS have shortened it by 2hours as they think you are unable to understand it. We didn't understand the problems of inheritance either prior to watching, but we learnt about it through this programme. It does give a wonderful idea of how it was in Britain once and the clothes are gorgeous. The writer, Julian Fellows, is very upper class himself, coming from the same type of family as the tv one. Of course for the lucky few, this way of life still exists,if in a slightly different form sometimes, for the huge majority it doesn't
Old 01-03-2011, 09:54 AM

I always enjoy watching the imports from UK - they are so much more intelligent than our homegrown series. Will look for this one.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:32 AM

love things on BBC UK puts on some great programs
Old 02-01-2011, 10:31 AM

My DH and I were totally sucked in by Downton Abbey, which just completed its four-week run on Masterpiece Theatre. We thoroughly enjoyed every bit of it -- so much so that I ordered the DVD from Masterpiece. It is the unedited UK version, so I'll watch again when it arrives to see what I missed.

A second Downton series for Masterpiece next year is in production. We can't wait. Anyone who loves British historical drama should enjoy this series. Maggie Smith was at peak performance every time she was on screen. If you liked the movie Gosford Park, you'll love this, it's written by the same author. And this was a fun nod back to the history of Masterpiece and its original Upstairs, Downstais series.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:08 AM

Oh my, when the credits rolled on Sunday, I said, "oh nooooooooo"! I didn't want it to end. I guess we'll just have to bide our time until the second series is completed. I hope that O'Brien gets her comeuppance! And Thomas - well, he's just as bad. The same actor played Liam on Corontation Street (a British soap).
Old 02-01-2011, 12:11 PM

I loved it, great insite to the english society. Wish we didn't have to wait to see the next installment. So much better than the trash on most stations. I don't know how many more reality shows they can think of but I'am reallytired of them. now maybe a good reallity quilting show I cound get into. :lol:
Old 02-01-2011, 12:19 PM

I'm rolling my eyes at this because my husband loves this series. LOL, he just finished watching part 4. I laughed because I couldn't believe there was a thread for this on here, LMAO. I just didn't expect it. It's not that I'm not a fan, I just for the moment don't have the attention span to sit and watch the DVR'd 4 episodes for like 8 hours straight right now... but he does. So I sew and chat on here, while the rest of you are apparently in solidarity with him, and now he is laughing about it... thanks everyone ;)

Explosive blessings, abundance and inspiration to you all!
- The Creative Seamstress
Old 02-01-2011, 12:23 PM

Oh, that's a whole new thought...a reality quilting show!The fabric hoarder. The DH who doesn't support the quilter. The blocks that won't square up, the border that won't lay flat. The quilt police tearing apart everyone's best efforts. The family member who tosses aside the gifted quilt with barely a glance, or sells it at a garage sale.

I'm not sure I'd watch it!
Old 02-01-2011, 01:04 PM

I have watched all the first part of the series and looked forward to it. They put an on screen note that part 2 is under production.