Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you use your serger? >

How do you use your serger?

How do you use your serger?

Old 01-08-2011, 11:01 AM

What exactly is a jelly roll quilt, I have heard the term but have never made one. Usually make rag quilts or pieced quilts.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by wisconsin
I do not use it much. It is so hard to thread, that I never change colors.
Instead of threading it, just tie on to your threads above the tension disks. Alot easier. Mine is a Babylock Imagine Wave with the jet air threading, but my previous serger (which my DD now has) was a Babylock Protege. I just tied my new colors on and off we went!
Old 01-08-2011, 11:41 AM

forgot to mention on my brother 1034 D serger hubby got me for Christmas ($192 on line through Wal-Mart)...that it is absolutely trouble free threading. The serger before that one, was a pain in the behind with threading and I gave it to a grand daughter...so much younger and more patient than I am! gigglilng. I LOVE MY SERGER
Old 01-08-2011, 12:00 PM

I love my serger. I have the Babylock that almost threads itself. I use it to make rolled edges on blankets or fleece, and professional looking seams on clothing. I haven't used it on quilts (yet). I mainly sew quilts, but sometimes I like to make clothing & other things 'non' quilted.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:05 PM

Search Super Fast Jelly Roll Quilt. It is a great tute.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:05 PM

Take a serger class if you purchase one. I did years ago at Bernina. I learned alot. Made knit clothing for kids and me, rolled hem on napkins and silk garments, placemats. There are a lot of good serger books out there too with lots of ideas. But I've never used for quilting other than to sew the edge of material before throwing it in the washer to keep material from raveling.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:18 PM

After purchasing my serger, I took classes at the vo-tech that taught me everything I've needed to know. Now, my Juki serger is 11 yrs and never any trouble with it. Although pricey model, it's paid for itself many times over from making lingerie to mending jeans, serging fabric before washing, Project Linus quilts, and the list goes on and on.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:19 PM
Power Poster

I gave my serger away. Not sure if it is actually being used, but at least it isn't making me feel inadequate.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:20 PM

I bought a basic serger about 15 years ago and it drove me crazy with tension and threading probs. Then I upgraded to the self-threading, self-adjusting tension Baby Lock (maybe 6 or 7 years ago?) and love it. Of course, when you want those 2 features, the machines get pretty pricey.
I have used it to make a quilt once (turned out okay but not my favorite). But I use it for so much more. Mine has a cover stitch and my daughter is severely vertically challenged so I use it to shorten sleeves on knit shirts for her and to shorten pant legs. Have used it to make pillows, pillowcases and slipcovers for home dec. Have been called on by friends & neighbors who can't sew to shorten prom dresses (the rolled hem does a great job on slinky fabric). I take it every year to the Cinderella's Closet to shorten dresses there and it makes a quick and easy spaghetti strap for the prom dresses(start with a long thread tail, put it inside the tube as you sew the long seam and use the tail to pull the whole thing right side out). Just used it at Christmas to make 8 denim aprons. I use it for all kinds of stuff and I can't imagine not having one. Like any other piece of equipment there's a learning curve but, once you get to know your machine, you'll be pleasantly surprised at what you can do with it.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dayken
I have never had a serger before but I recently got an embroidery machine and it seems like a serger would go well with the projects I embroider. Like towel, tableclothes, etc. Do any of you use a serger to do quilting? I don't know if I really need a serger so I'm asking your opinion on how you use your serger. Thanks for your help.
You will wonder what you ever did without one! I use mine for so many things; it is an "edge finisher" basically, but you can do decorative stitches with a serger and various types of threads, do tucks, edges on knits, rolled hems on fancy fabrics, make scarves, etc. There are books and lessons on how to use a serger for quilting, and I plan to do one of those to learn that technique. I have a well loved Bernina 1100DA .... learning how to adjust the 3 or 4 threads' tension, is like an aaah haaah moment! and it is sooo easy to use. Get a good brand used to start with from a reliable dealer who will teach you how to use it, that's all you need.