Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you use your serger? >

How do you use your serger?

How do you use your serger?

Old 01-08-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by amma
Serging seams would make them more bulky for quilting, but I can see a lot of benefits for embroidery work. Napkins, resewing knit seams, etc... :D:D:D
also, very difficult to unsew. I use mine for clothing construction, craft items, baby receiving blankets, and they are great for the pillowcases, because I hate to french seam.
Old 01-08-2011, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
I have used a serger for 18 yrs. Always finding things to use it with. I serge around a lot of baby blankets for one thing. Mend seems on clothing, make bibs. All kinds of things, wouldn't be without one! Sure is great to serge the raw edge of material before you throw in the washer, keeps it from raveling everywhere. I am learning to make baby clothes using cotton knits. Can't wait to learn more things, be interesting to see what others post!
I agree. I use my serger a lot for regular sewing/hemming pants/costumes/etc. I have also used it on quilts prior to binding. Makes a very nice edge and no problems with even edges. ;-)
Old 01-08-2011, 07:53 AM

I'm an old time quilter. I like to quilt by hand. I love applique quilting and always do that by hand. But I noticed the new quilt patterns show you to zig zag around your applique pieces before sewing on your quilt top. Question is....what if you serge the edges of the applique instead of the zig zag stitch? I think I will try it just to see if it works.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by quiltnerd
I used mine for one quilt. I may use it again - it was a lot of fun to do. However, I mostly use it on knits to make quick diapers and clothes for my baby!

At the end of the day, I wish I had spent the money on a really nice, new regular sewing machine instead.
That is a gorgeous quilt! Love the fabrics.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:32 AM

I have an inexpensive 4-thread serger and really like using it. Mostly I make flannel baby blankets and burpies but I would love to use it more. I don't make clothes so I've never used it for that. I just love how quickly and neatly it stitches. I also use it for potholders and Christmas stockings. The patterns I have for those are super simple and go together so fast. Bottom line, I don't use it all that often, but don't plan on getting rid of it.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:52 AM

Hi, i`ve had mine for quite a while and i have used it a lot...used to make a lot of knit t-shirts and sweatshirts...now i use it when i make clothes for my g/ds and niece....so the finish product is nicer. i also serge all my new fabric before i wash them.....i love mine...couldn`t do without it!
Old 01-08-2011, 08:54 AM

p.s. i also serge around my quilts before finishing it with the binding, that way it is much easier to finish by hand...you just follow the serge line,,,just my way of doing it
Old 01-08-2011, 08:57 AM

I was given one, but it's still in the case it came in. I don't know anyone locally who has a serger and it's an old one, so I've no idea how to work mine.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:12 AM

When I purchased my serger about 8 years ago, I was not sure I'd ever use it. Now I can't sew without my serger. Like Quilter7x, I serge the edges of fabric as soon as I get the fabric home. Serged edges make washing the fabric much easier. That's the closest I come to using my serger for quilting. I couldn't do without it when making knit clothing, e.g., turtle neck shirts for my granddaughter. When constructing garments, I use the serger to finish seams, make rolled hems, etc. Once you start using your serger, you'll find many uses for it. Congratulations on your new serger!
Old 01-08-2011, 09:13 AM

My White serger is set up and ready all the time. Serged edges of 10 table covers for a rehearsal dinner last year. Used it just this week to serge edges of quilt leaders. I use it for finished seams in purses and have made a rail fence quilt with it that required no additional quilting when top was completed. The top, batting and backing were joined in strips all at the same time in the flip and sew method. It was a great method. I wouldn't get rid of my serger for anything. I also have feet to make piping inserted in pillow seams all in one step and a beading attachment.