Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you use your serger? >

How do you use your serger?

How do you use your serger?

Old 01-08-2011, 04:08 AM

I am using mine in a class making a 6 hour quilt. It has really been fun. It is a Kaye Wood pattern. I have all the feet that come with the machine so I plan on learning what to do with all of them. My first serger if the thread broke it would take at least an hour to get it fixed. My Baby Lock threads itself. Love it.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:30 AM

I have had one for 6 years, had it out once to take a class on how to use it, and I haven't touched it sense. But would like to.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by quiltnerd
I used mine for one quilt. I may use it again - it was a lot of fun to do. However, I mostly use it on knits to make quick diapers and clothes for my baby!

At the end of the day, I wish I had spent the money on a really nice, new regular sewing machine instead.
That is amazing! Time to pull out my serger! Thanks for the photo and inspiration!
Old 01-08-2011, 05:05 AM

I keep mine handy and threaded, never know when I will need it especially for long seams for a backing. I use mine to do the edges of bookmarks I embroider, finished the edges of fabric for embroidering other things, repairing seams that come apart. I even bought a book on quilting with the serger and made a whole top using it, trims and sews all at one time. It is a machine you have to use your imagination with and you will it a necessary item when shortening slacks, sleeves, sweatshirts or mending. I have used mine to sew the outer edges of quilts too, cuts off the excess fabric and batting and makes it easier to sew on a binding if I want to. If I buy something, it has to pay its way, can't afford to have it sitting there collecting dust. Mine sits behind the regular machine and is ready to go.

Carol J.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:10 AM

I use to use mine a lot. (use to make many shirts) Though I haven't made shirts lately I do use it when making pillowcases(very quik)and that type of thing. I see there are books for quilting with your serger advertized. I think I will have to investigate one and see how it is done it would certainly see more use by me that way.((giggle giggle))
Old 01-08-2011, 05:12 AM

I think sergers are really underused because we just don't know enough about them. If you do other sewing besides quilting then you will use your serger. You would be surprised at what you can do with them. I think of my serger as an accessory, so if you can afford it - go for it!

You seaming is always nicer when your use your serger. For example if you made flannel pajama bottoms, you would only need your regular sewing machine for the waistline casing and the hems. And they stitch very fast!!

Its so nice to look at something you have made and see those nice finished seams.

There are some good serger books out there. Sewing with Nancy has had some shows and has books on serging as well. Find some books you like and then get them at the library. If your local library doesn't have them, try your statewide library system if you have one.

Janome makes a couple of reasonably priced models, starting at just $200. Hancock Fabrics sells a few models and are frequently on sale. There are even some out there that are self-threading.

I am glad I have mine and would purchase another one if I had to.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:18 AM

I've surged log cabin quilts. Hem kitchen towels, the ones you cut a towel in half and add a fabric hanger. When kids were home did clothes with it.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:21 AM

I wish I had a serger years ago when I was making clothes all the time. have one now and use it for repairs on clothes, and doggy beds and crate covers. I picked up a book in a thrift store . I just need to sit down and learn from it. That is right after I learn how to use everything on my sewing machine and after I get all the UFO's done and all the quilts in my head done.LOL
Old 01-08-2011, 05:22 AM

I am on my second serger (this one self-threading) and I love it. I serge flannel receiving blankets for Project Linus, plus I have made napkins, coasters,table cloths, placemats, baked potato bags, and serged edges on towels that were starting to ravel. There are many good books with nice projects you can do with a serger, or, go online and research projects with a serger. Sergers are wonderful, if you use them.
Jo Ann
Old 01-08-2011, 05:31 AM

I bought mine several years ago - just HAD to have one - used it once - planning on selling it soon.