Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you use your serger? >

How do you use your serger?

How do you use your serger?

Old 01-08-2011, 05:39 AM

Couldn't do without my serger. Use it a lot on home sewing and have serged around a quilt that is ready for putting binding on. I have a New Home, Janome. and found a Brothers at a yard sale, so I keep one threaded with dark thread and one white.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Babs194068
I am using mine in a class making a 6 hour quilt. It has really been fun. It is a Kaye Wood pattern. I have all the feet that come with the machine so I plan on learning what to do with all of them. My first serger if the thread broke it would take at least an hour to get it fixed. My Baby Lock threads itself. Love it.
Yes those Baby Lock's that thread themselves is the way to go. Mine is older and threading it can be a headache at times, but I still love to use it. I don't think sergers is for everyone!
Old 01-08-2011, 06:14 AM

After 30 years of sewing I bought a very inexpensive serger from Costco online - delivered straight to my house. It has an instructional DVD and is really easy to set up and use. I just made 24 pillowcases for my two granddaughters - each one got a set of 12, one for every month of the year - hearts for February, shamrocks for March, etc. The serging took less time than cutting them out! If I had used my sewing machine I would have had to zig-zag or use French seams so the serger was a snap. This is an under-used tool in my sewing room and I hope to expand my use of it; I just don't think to use it because I've never had one.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:26 AM

I used mine to sewing the whole quilt together, the material was kind of ravelly, And I wanted to try my serger. I really like it. and it is easy to thread. I think if I made flannel quilts ,I would use it on them. I also made a quilt ,for reuphostering a chair and I didn't want the seams to split open,, and two matching pillows.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-155921.jpe  
Old 01-08-2011, 06:29 AM

I am on Serger #2 (unfortunately an older one and not a thread itself one). Serger #1 died from overuse. With Serger #1, I made ALL of my kids clothing, swim suits as well as many craft items.

Now that I spend my time quilting with minimum clothing construction, Serger #2 gets used often when I do construction of bags, pillows and other things made out of pieced parts. I also use it on the wide stitch width with a long stitch length on edges of quilts before binding.

If you do embroidery, you can make embroidered napkins out of any fabric, then use the rolled edge to complete the napkin.

Many more uses!! I would not be without mine. I leave it threaded - all ready to go. If I need to re-thread it - I just do the cut, tie and pull trick! (I do know a lot of gals whose serger is an expensive paper weight however mine is not :lol: )
Old 01-08-2011, 06:33 AM

It's important to have a place to keep the serger out. I don't use it all the time, and when it gets put away, I find other ways to do things. but when I do get it out for something, I love it and swear I'll use it more. I have one that does the cover stitch which is very cool.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:36 AM

Thanks to all of you. I really appreciate the information. I still don't know if I will get one, but it sounds like the babylock is the best for threading. Again, thinks for you help.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:40 AM

I just got mine for christmas. I have used it to serge around all new fabrics (they don't ravel!) and I go around my mug rugs to make a nice finishing edge and trim them before I put the binding on. I am going to use them to cut off my son's work pants and finish before hemming. I'm loving mine.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:44 AM

I have heard the serger is great to use on the Log Cabin quilts. You have to remember to disengage the cutter. I wonder about doing the 1/4" seam on the serger.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:50 AM

Like so many others have said.... I don't really use my serger for quilting. I do use it for other things..... made a Christmas stocking for my new puppy in about 15 minutes..... fixed a sweater that was too wide at the hips.... use it for shortening skirts and tops..... not a lot else. I love it when I need it.... just don't need it that often. If I hadn't had it given to me I wouldn't have purchased it.