Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Big Problem and I knew better ! >

Big Problem and I knew better !

Big Problem and I knew better !

Old 01-20-2011, 10:49 PM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

I used a really ( But truely really ) cute piece of fabric just the right size for the back of my tummy time ( larger than a crib) quilt. After quilting the top by machine.. it is NOT the right size, Short ! and .. not even squared. off a whole 5 inches at worst, and 1/2 in at best. I used odd size fabric, because this was an old stash piece. white fabric to run up the sides to finish quilting .. all hexigons Grandmother's flower garden quilt.
any suggestions how to hide this fact? the quilting is great ! maybe put a 6 in "frame" around the back of the quilt? Wholooly Shmooly.
What a dissappointment.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-164805.jpe  
Old 01-20-2011, 11:24 PM

Can you show a pic of the back? Are you leaving the sides uneven? Or are you planning on cutting Straight? What about binding? I think seeing the back would help.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:33 AM
Power Poster

I'm not sure I understand? The backing is to small and you have already quilted it?
Old 01-21-2011, 06:24 AM

I don't get it either...I've made 2 GFG and I have appliqued both of them to backgrounds before quilting them
Old 01-21-2011, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

It looks like the edges are still loose. You could applique the top edge to border pieces, add a border to the backing also, and piece the batting.

To piece the batting, peel back both top and backing fabrics and pin out of the way. Layer your quilt batting on top of another piece of batting. Use rotary cutter to cut through both battings in a wavy "S" line. Remove the extra batting pieces and the new batting and old batting will butt perfectly together. For a small quilt like this, I would probably hand tack the battings together using a tailor's stich, although you could also machine sew them together with a wide and long zigzag stitch.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:25 AM

i am not sure i understand
Old 04-21-2011, 05:59 AM

I was told in the classes I've taken that when I make the quilt sandwiches I should add an extra 3 inches all around on the backing and the batting because they tend to "shrink in" when quilted, both by hand and by machine. My suggestion for a fix: maybe you could add strips of fabric to the sides of the back where it shrunk, folding over 1/4 inch and then stitching it by hand to the original backing, in a method similar to that in a quilt as you go method for the backs of the individual blocks. If you place the new strips evenly on all sides then you can simply call it a unique design element and tell everyone that you planned it that way. That's what I say to people. :)
Old 04-21-2011, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

i ALWAYS recommend people making sure their backing is AT LEAST 5" all the way around larger than the top- when quilting the backing is (drawn up) just like when embroidering or applique and depending on the density of the quilting and size of the quilt the (draw) can be substantial. that means- if your top measures 90"x100" your batting and backing should measure a minimum of 100"x110"- begger is better- and is simply used to square up the quilt after quilting. the excess just adds to your stash.
when i have had quilts come out with the backing too small the only 2 solutions i know of being done (by others-customers) is to either cut off their border on the top- make it fit the back- or-- add a new border to the back and finish quilting.
also, no matter how much you bought (believe you have) remeasure before sandwiching- i have had people bring me wide backing fabrics telling me they bought 3 yards (108") but then had it wind up being too short for a 90" quilt--because they were shorted at the cutting table- and i was too dumb to not measure- took their word for it---now i always measure- and if it is too small i let them know so we can figure out the best solution before it is all quilted.