Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is something wrong with me? >

Is something wrong with me?

Is something wrong with me?

Old 01-28-2011, 05:06 PM

My husband seems to think that there is something wrong with me. And I just want to get your opinions on this.

As I have mentioned before, we are moving (the week of the 21st) and it is a professional move, i.e. they pack, they load, they unload and setup beds and stuff.

Now the weird part, or so my husband says, is the packing of my room. Even though I am one armed for this move, I still want to pack my room - not them - me. He says that they are the professionals, they know what they are doing, and what they pack will be covered by the insurance. I know that this is all true and understand all of it. BUT if is my stuff (stash, machines, books, etc.) and I want to know where it is and how it is packed. I have my fabrics sorted and folded and my project kitted up. And I want things pack in certain ways. Such as the three quilts that I want to start next, and the beautiful applique pattern that was a wonderful surprise, ar pack into a large storage tub all together with their threads and instructions and such. And I want to be able to pack all of my fabrics along the same lines as how I have them sorted. I don't want a 'trained professional' ruining all of the folding and ironing and marking and such while they literally 'throw' it into a box to go.

So, am I being unreasonable? DH says that I am because there is other stuff that we need to accomplish since he is now commuting from Maryland. He leaves at 4a on Monday morning and gets home about 10p and Thursday night until we completely move. I know that I have been off kilter about a lot of things lately, but I don't see this as part of it. But if it is, doen't it make sense to let me at least control this small part of the pack?

Okay, thanks for listening. There is not a lot of consideration around here right now.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:11 PM

Um...... I have been there with the one-arm stuff. We had a water leak and I had to pack up my entire sewing room.( right before surgery) I had help from quilting friends unpack and put it back together.
I have moved many times with the Navy. There are certain things that I insisted on packing into Rubbermaid tubs. They then packed the tubs into boxes, that was fine.
Being that you are not supposed to use your arm..... can you have a friend help? Can you be there in the room when your stuff is being packed? I know there are a million other things that need to be done. You may have to let this one go a little.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:12 PM

Moving is so stressful - even if you do have professional movers! I sympathize with you about wanting to pack your own stuff - I would too!

Good luck with the move and remember that this too shall pass!
Old 01-28-2011, 05:14 PM

I would want to pack my sewing room also. I totally understand. Hang in there. moving is so stressful.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:14 PM

I would feel the same way.I wouldn;t want anyone else boxing my stash or kits.They might mix things up or mess things up.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:15 PM

Perhaps you could supervise the "professionals" and give them guidance to pack your things (not sure if that' an option in your situation) or if DH is worried about it not being covered under insurance if they don't pack it, is it possible to move (depending on the size) of your stash and machines in your car? If you do this, please notify your insurance of the value of these things (learned the hard way with my daughters wedding dress, in an accident 6 minutes after picking it up).
Old 01-28-2011, 05:15 PM

I totally understand, I would want that stuff handled with kit gloves.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:16 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

If it were me I would want to pack my sewing stuff myself too. Husbands just don't understand.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Power Poster

nope, you are fine and correct too. but you can delegate. the professional can pack what you tell them to and how you tell them to. or your hubby can!!!
Old 01-28-2011, 05:19 PM

You don't want to do anything that will re-injure your shoulder!!! Or make it take longer to heal. Don't over do!!! It will be really hard to pack up your fabrics with just one arm. If you do pack some of it, do a little at a time and don't use that arm!!!!!