Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is something wrong with me? >

Is something wrong with me?

Is something wrong with me?

Old 01-30-2011, 08:57 PM

Everyone's ideas are great sounding, but call the moving company and see what they have to say about your packing your sewing//quilting items yourself, depending on the answer, I would still take my most valuable things with me in my vehicle, even if I had to rent small trailer one way :D
Old 01-30-2011, 09:00 PM

When ever I have moved, the movers can take everything except my sewing machines...they go in the car with me!!!
Old 01-30-2011, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Grantiowa
I have moved back and forth the ocean several times and my question is if you pack your own boxes will the moving company still insure. All the boxes I packed were marked PACK BY OWNER by the moving company. Karen Sue
We have made two cross-country moves and both times we packed ourselves. We were cautioned by the moving company estimater that we would be insured, but the final word would be up to the actual moving men upon inspection of our boxes.

He took one look at our boxes on moving day and said there was no problem as the boxes were packed very tight and were very solid. So, yes you can be insured if you do the packing, but you should check with the specific moving company. We used Allied.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:43 AM

I would recommend you pack it yourself, or supervise them, my old coot was in the navy and we moved alot, you never know what is going to happen
Old 01-31-2011, 07:33 AM

I understand where you are coming from. I just moved fairly recently and had professionals move us, as they were paid for by my new job. They were very rough with our stuff and quite a few things were broke. My sewing machine was not handled right and somewhere in the move my bobbin case was lost and I had to get another one. Then to top it all off, they told me that all we had to do when we got to the new house that we just had to call them and tell them that we were ready for our belongings and the person on the phone told us that we didn't decide when they delivered the belongings they did. It took them 2 weeks more from when I moved to the house before I got my belongings. You talk about stressful.
I am sure though that you will not have that problem.
Just had to vent, sorry. Jennifer:(
Old 02-03-2011, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Patty Patches
I would feel the same way. I wouldn't want anyone else boxing my stash or kits.They might mix things up or mess things up.
I am the same. if you pack things into plastic boxes as you want them, then they can be repacked into other boxes by the professionals. That way it will be easier to find everything you want as it is already packed as YOU want and they will be still covered by the insurance.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:22 AM

I'm late in offering my opinion, but I don't think there's anything wrong with you.
When I bought my sewing machine, the salesperson told me her husband was in the military, so they moved a lot, and her sewing machine always took a lot of abuse.
If I were in your situation, not only would I pack my own stuff, I might hand carry my machine.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:08 AM

Just BE THERE, IN THE ROOM, when they pack it so YOU can label every container in addition to whatever labeling they do.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:10 AM

I would probably rent a uhaul and take my own stuff with me. Wouldn't trust the movers...
Old 02-07-2011, 01:47 AM

I know I would absolutely hate having someone packing up my stuff but, really? This man has been commuting all that way every day?
I say he deserves a break.