Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is something wrong with me? >

Is something wrong with me?

Is something wrong with me?

Old 01-30-2011, 06:31 AM

I'm with you. I would want to pack my own. I agree though about packing in totes and then let them pack them in boxes so everything is insured. :thumbup:
Old 01-30-2011, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

No I think you are being very reasonable. We quilters have a lot of pride and protection towards our craft and in a strange way feel as though everything is like a member of the family. We want to love it, take care of it and protect it. I think you should pack your own room up the way you want it packed.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
I agree with you. There is no way I would let movers touch my sewing machines or anything I value. I've seen their work first hand. Never again.
I agree 100%. We moved ourselves (had help) and even then it was a nightmare. I would at least pack my things in plastic tubs and have them waiting to be picked up for the moving men. Good luck.
Phyllis
Old 01-30-2011, 11:10 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jrhboxers
Now the weird part, or so my husband says, is the packing of my room. Even though I am one armed for this move, I still want to pack my room - not them - me. He says that they are the professionals, they know what they are doing, and what they pack will be covered by the insurance.
I paid a moving company to move me from the house I was in to this one that I just renovated. It was simple put the stuff from one home to the other just 1 1/2 miles away. I lost several things including 3 BMX bikes (about $700 each) they packed a sink of dirty dishes before my wife had time to wash them (we had pancakes that morning) and they broke half the stem wear.
:roll: I paid them a little over $9000 for the move and then after they threw crap around and broke more stuff as they were unloading it the foreman had the audacity to ask for a tip.

We have been here for close to 7 years now and I am still finding out things that are missing and broken from the move.

Billy
Old 01-30-2011, 11:11 AM

I have moved back and forth the ocean several times and my question is if you pack your own boxes will the moving company still insure. All the boxes I packed were marked PACK BY OWNER by the moving company. Karen Sue
Old 01-30-2011, 12:37 PM

You--1 Husband--0
Old 01-30-2011, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
I agree with you. There is no way I would let movers touch my sewing machines or anything I value. I've seen their work first hand. Never again.
Me too
Old 01-30-2011, 01:19 PM

Just a word about professional movers - pack your own jewelry and take it with you. Have your silver packed under your supervision, labeled, listed on the inventory, signed, etc. I had a very valuable antique gold watch and fob stolen by the packers when they packed my jewelry. They left the case but I never noticed when they slipped it out of the case and the insurance didn't take my word that the watch and fob were there when the packers arrived. It would have been so easy to have put it in my purse. It had been my great-grandfather's. I find the small things are the things to watch out for.

Anything you can pack in tubs or boxes and seal, they can put in their boxes and mark the boxes and the inventory list so the contents are known. That just requires organization and isn't difficult. If your material is folded now, it can be put in boxes as is if someone insists on it, extra space can be filled with their paper - but only if someone is there insisting. Maybe a friend can supervise the packing of your room, as you will have to be in 6 places at once. Good luck.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:42 PM

Dear Friend ...... having moved many times in the service, I can appreciate your concern, but I can advise you with a backlog of experience: let them do the work! They will let you supervise, and be ready with a big black marker to list what is in each box, so you know what room to send it to, what to unpack first, etc. I used to say I was so fussy about such things, I thought the clothes wouldn't dry if I didn't hang them on the line myself. I got over it. I'm a lot happier now ..... and so are the people around me! Good luck! :thumbup:
Old 01-30-2011, 04:50 PM

I have heard so many bad things about professional packers/movers. My experience was devastating for my mother. She was living with my sister in MD and after selling her home in Ohio. She was going to FL to live with another sister so we found a mover to ship the few things she had left. Not much furniture but all her clothes, family pictures, financial paperwork, etc. Luckily we had taken her jewelery and a couple large suitcases of clothes.....because everything was stolen! I spent weeks trying to find this stuff and learned so much about the rip-offs these people do - it could cause you to never move again.

So I say pack your own, take photos of valuables and take pictures as they load and as they unload. I can't say enough about how sad it was to my mother to loose the last of her loved items.