Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is something wrong with me? >

Is something wrong with me?

Is something wrong with me?

Old 01-29-2011, 08:11 PM

I've moved.. it's very hard.. I would probably take my machine in the car with me.. fabric, well, even if they did 'toss' it into a box willy-nilly, it won't ruin it. True, you'll have to iron, refold, etc... but relax and let them do what they do.. YOU have plenty to do without allowing 'stuff' ,that will be okay, add to the already heavy burden of moving! (don't hit me verbally, I know its more than stuff to us) All I am suggesting is that while we would all rather do things our way, it's best we try to keep things in perspective and focus on what matters even more than our stash. Don't worry, it will all be okay if you can keep your head and your wits, and your sense of humor about you.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:15 PM

Every time I've moved (a lot in my life) I packed the things most precious to me. That way if it was broken, then I was to blame....no one else. I also put my most precious stuff in the car with me. I'd let someone pack my fabrics, but the mats, rulers, sewing machine....they go with me...........even if it meant leaving my husband behind!!!!!! :) You can sort out the fabrics, etc. after you get to the new place. You'll have more time to play with them then!!!!
Old 01-29-2011, 08:20 PM

I don't see why you can't be there when the movers pack up your sewing roon and you can tell them what you want in each box. They may not like it but hey it is your stuff. I bet they would be willing to work with you.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cjomomma
If it were me I would want to pack my sewing stuff myself too. Husbands just don't understand.
I totally agree! :thumbup:
Old 01-29-2011, 08:27 PM
Power Poster

Some good advice here....Moving is one of the most stressful times in life...take it easy (you are injured at the moment) and try and stay positive....maybe packing in tubs while your husband is not around is a good idea, then when he is around, you can work together on the stuff that he thinks is important. Be kind to yourself.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by jrhboxers
My husband seems to think that there is something wrong with me. And I just want to get your opinions on this.

As I have mentioned before, we are moving (the week of the 21st) and it is a professional move, i.e. they pack, they load, they unload and setup beds and stuff.

Now the weird part, or so my husband says, is the packing of my room. Even though I am one armed for this move, I still want to pack my room - not them - me. He says that they are the professionals, they know what they are doing, and what they pack will be covered by the insurance. I know that this is all true and understand all of it. BUT if is my stuff (stash, machines, books, etc.) and I want to know where it is and how it is packed. I have my fabrics sorted and folded and my project kitted up. And I want things pack in certain ways. Such as the three quilts that I want to start next, and the beautiful applique pattern that was a wonderful surprise, ar pack into a large storage tub all together with their threads and instructions and such. And I want to be able to pack all of my fabrics along the same lines as how I have them sorted. I don't want a 'trained professional' ruining all of the folding and ironing and marking and such while they literally 'throw' it into a box to go.

So, am I being unreasonable? DH says that I am because there is other stuff that we need to accomplish since he is now commuting from Maryland. He leaves at 4a on Monday morning and gets home about 10p and Thursday night until we completely move. I know that I have been off kilter about a lot of things lately, but I don't see this as part of it. But if it is, doen't it make sense to let me at least control this small part of the pack?

Okay, thanks for listening. There is not a lot of consideration around here right now.
We've moved 8 times since 1992. 3 of those moves were handled by professionals, driving 3,000 miles one way. What I would recommend is to pack all your fabrics in totes, sewing machines in solid boxes with Styrofoam surrounding your machine. Let the movers box them in bigger boxes, but label everything. Be sure to be there when they pack your things up. Good luck with your move. :thumbup:
Old 01-29-2011, 10:24 PM

No you are not being unreasonable. Maybe you can sit there and tell them exactly how and where to pack it.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:48 PM

We have moved many times and some of them with professional packers. I can tell you from experience that they just go into a room and start putting stuff into boxes and they do not care if it is in a certain order or not, or even if it is protected or not. It really is not at all how I would have done it. So, I suggest you pack your items into smaller boxes or tubs then they can just put it into their boxes. That way it will be done like you want it to be. And if you are having difficulty packing inlist the help of a friend.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:04 AM

I can see why you feel this way, and don't really see anything wrong with your packing the unbreakable items, though under the circumstances, I'm sure your DH has your best interests at heart in wanting to spare you that effort. Most likely the movers will do okay. It would be good if you're able to hang around with them and write on the boxes what you need to know or, better yet, keep your own list of what's in each box according to the numbers they apply. Possibly you could line up the most urgent items and ask them to put them together. Definitely let the pros pack things that are very expensive or breakable because you could have terrible losses otherwise that would be excluded from the insurance. We've been through quite a few moves, and I've seen very disrespectful handling of things a time or two. If you challenge them, some will shrug and say - don't worry, we're insured - as if that would make up for the inconvenience of a claim process, to say nothing of loss of irreplaceable items. Many movers were wonderful, on the other hand. I hope you get that kind.

The solution is definitely NOT to pack your own machine unless you can afford to just lose it. If you pack it for the move and it breaks you may be out of luck. Breakage is probably not covered on PBO (packed by owner) items. If it is stolen during the move you might have trouble proving what was in the box you packed. Take lots of pictures of your belongings before the move, including serial numbers, if possible. Give a back-up copy of them on a flash stick or CD to someone you trust, and take all the documentation papers for valuables with you. There are websites where you can upload scans of such papers and photos of your personal property. Allstate has a link to one on their website.

Best wishes. I'll be hanging on to see your report from the other end.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by jrhboxers
My husband seems to think that there is something wrong with me. And I just want to get your opinions on this.

As I have mentioned before, we are moving (the week of the 21st) and it is a professional move, i.e. they pack, they load, they unload and setup beds and stuff.

Now the weird part, or so my husband says, is the packing of my room. Even though I am one armed for this move, I still want to pack my room - not them - me. He says that they are the professionals, they know what they are doing, and what they pack will be covered by the insurance. I know that this is all true and understand all of it. BUT if is my stuff (stash, machines, books, etc.) and I want to know where it is and how it is packed. I have my fabrics sorted and folded and my project kitted up. And I want things pack in certain ways. Such as the three quilts that I want to start next, and the beautiful applique pattern that was a wonderful surprise, ar pack into a large storage tub all together with their threads and instructions and such. And I want to be able to pack all of my fabrics along the same lines as how I have them sorted. I don't want a 'trained professional' ruining all of the folding and ironing and marking and such while they literally 'throw' it into a box to go.

So, am I being unreasonable? DH says that I am because there is other stuff that we need to accomplish since he is now commuting from Maryland. He leaves at 4a on Monday morning and gets home about 10p and Thursday night until we completely move. I know that I have been off kilter about a lot of things lately, but I don't see this as part of it. But if it is, doen't it make sense to let me at least control this small part of the pack?

Okay, thanks for listening. There is not a lot of consideration around here right now.
The dh just doesn't understand. I would definitely want to do all the packing of my quilting stuff myself too. :)