Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Cotton front/ flannel back rag quilt...PLEASE HELP!! >

Cotton front/ flannel back rag quilt...PLEASE HELP!!

Cotton front/ flannel back rag quilt...PLEASE HELP!!

Old 01-29-2011, 07:35 PM

Sorry for shouting, but about to cry :( I have made several of this type of rag quilt before, but always with square blocks. This quilt is for my husband and it is a colonial flag, with 4.5"x 74" strips, and it is a total nightmare! The top is moving forward and the bottom is easing with the feed dogs. It is so bad, that the flannel bottom is ending up 2' longer after sewing. I have tried flipping the cotton to the feed dog side, tried a walking foot, foot pressure is down to 1, and nothing seems to help. I don't have any puckers, but it looks as though I have intentionally inserted gatherings the entire length. I have noticed that the red mottled flannel is not as bad as the tan mottled, despite both having the same manufacturer from Joann's fabrics.

If anyone has any other idea I can try, I would appreciate it. I definitely do not want to rip them all out, if possible. I have considered dewing the remaining pieces and the just cut off/ square up the entire quilt before I stitch around the outside edge. What do you all think?? The original size was going to be 60"x74"...but who knows where it will end up now. I do know that I will never ever use flannel for strip piecing again!! lol
Old 01-29-2011, 07:37 PM

That was supposed to be "considered Sewing"...

I am a horrible typist :oops:
Old 01-29-2011, 07:39 PM

I have never rag quilt, so I am no help...but I feel your pain. I am sure someone out there will have a solution for you.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:40 PM
Power Poster

I would have heavily starched the flannel first (before cutting into strips). Then it would not distort while you sew. You can still do this on the strips you have cut but not sewn. I use a large wall painting brush to "paint" a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water onto fabric. For yardage I toss into the dryer, then iron with steam. For your strips I would just hang them to air dry, then iron with steam. (They would come out a mess if tossed in the dryer.)

Oops. Just re-read your post and realized you are trying to sew rag quilt strips together. In that case, you might be better off using several layers of spray starch on each side of each strip. Lay out a large sheet to catch any overspray, and air dry (or speed drying with a hair blower) between layers of starch. Put extra layers of starch on the flannel side. This should help stabilize the flannel so it doesn't stretch while you sew.

Also, on your machine are you able to adjust the presser foot pressure? Easing up on that might help too.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:42 PM

try using a walking foot which will help all the layers feed evenly.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I would have heavily starched the flannel first (before cutting into strips). Then it would not distort while you sew. You can still do this on the strips you have cut but not sewn. I use a large wall painting brush to "paint" a 1:1 solution of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch and water onto fabric. For yardage I toss into the dryer, then iron with steam. For your strips I would just hang them to air dry, then iron with steam. (They would come out a mess if tossed in the dryer.)
great idea i would not have thought of that
Old 01-29-2011, 07:47 PM

Thanks Prism...a mess would be right!! lol Luckily I didn't prewash any of the fabric, so massive shrinkage at this point would be great! It would take away from the gathered look. If I could learn really quick to free-motion, I could add that after I join the seams and it would help too. Will be so glad when this is over..UGH! Luckily, my husband is such a nice guy, he will love it anyway :)
Old 01-29-2011, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by quilterjody
try using a walking foot which will help all the layers feed evenly.
My machine came with a walking foot...tried and it was even worse with the walking foot. How is that even possible? Only me..lol
Old 01-29-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99

Oops. Just re-read your post and realized you are trying to sew rag quilt strips together. In that case, you might be better off using several layers of spray starch on each side of each strip. Lay out a large sheet to catch any overspray, and air dry (or speed drying with a hair blower) between layers of starch. Put extra layers of starch on the flannel side. This should help stabilize the flannel so it doesn't stretch while you sew.

Also, on your machine are you able to adjust the presser foot pressure? Easing up on that might help too.

Prism, I am not even sewing the strips together yet!! I am just sewing a straight line down the middle of the batting, which is 2.5" wide. Next, I will sew the strips together using 1/2" seam..if I can even make it to that!

Where do you buy this Sta-Flo?
Old 01-29-2011, 08:02 PM
Power Poster

I find Sta-Flo in the laundry area of the local grocery store. It comes in a blue quart size plastic jug. Some Walmarts carry it. Depending on where you live, you might have to go to several places to find a store that carries it (or request it at the customer service counter of your favorite grocery).

I always use that heavy 1:1 solution on flannel. The flannel comes out about as stiff as lightweight cardstock, so it is *not* going to move anywhere while you work with it. Makes it easy to piece accurately too. It's preferable to starch before cutting, but I think in your situation it would be well worth the effort to starch your cut strips before you go any further.