Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Apple-Raisins Oatmeal Cake >

Apple-Raisins Oatmeal Cake

Old 01-31-2011, 01:57 PM

Apparently we're teasing taste buds here. Thanks for asking for this one, I turned recipe cards I hadn't seen in YEARS! Oh, my, and the way it is written. This came from the Camp side of the family, so was probably baked in Granny's old wood stove.

Peal and chop-up about 5 cups of sweet apples, and mix in a pan with 1 cup brown sugar and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, stirring to keep sugar from scorching. Cook until apples are just beginning to soften. About five minutes, then set aside.

In roomy mixing bowl, sift together 2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon of baking powder, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon of allspice.

Add 1 cup of oatmeal, 1/2 cup of seedless raisins, and 1/2 cup of chopped nuts to bowl and combine well.

Reserve some of the cooled apple mixture for topping, and add rest to cake batter with 2 well beat eggs, 1/4 cup of melted shortening, and 1/2 cup of brown sugar and mix together until just moistened.

Pour into a shallow bake pan and bake in a medium oven about 30 to 40 minutes until done.

While cake bakes, add 1 cup heavy cream to remaining apple mixture and bring to a slow boil for a couple of minutes, stirring the whole while.

When cake is removed from the oven, pour apple and cream mixture over the cake.

*Serve warm or store in icebox.

Note* Although this is not written on the recipe card, there were two other additions the family sometime used.
1) the raisins were soaked in cream sherry until plump before being added to the cake mix
2) a hard rum-butter sauce was poured on before the creamed apple topping.
Old 01-31-2011, 04:36 PM

mmm, sounds good! Isn't it fun going through the old recipe box? I feel a tug on my heart when I see my mum's handwriting, she is long gone but I still have her recipes.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:54 PM
Power Poster

Yummy. That sounds wonderful.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
mmm, sounds good! Isn't it fun going through the old recipe box? I feel a tug on my heart when I see my mum's handwriting, she is long gone but I still have her recipes.
Going through my mom's tin box of recipes is is more entertaining than through my MIL's boxes because I remember the ones from mom, and her box has the ones copied from Granny. When I venture through the ones from DH's side of the family the clippings and cards reflect a different taste. (The farmer eats what the farmer knows.)

Once I started browsing yesterday, it was like a trip down Memory Lane. I even started going through my boxes. In one of the boxes I found an entire set of spiral bound index cards which our second exchange student had made for his H.S. cooking class the year he lived with us. As I flipped through the cards I saw a German Tornado cake. Darn! Wouldn't you know it was exactly the same as the Texas Tornado cake I just posted with a change of name to his home country. He got a 100 on the recipe. I wonder what the assignment was. As I continued to flip, I saw a few more family recipes.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:00 AM

Ohhhh, wish you had posted the recipe for that rum sauce. I bet it would make this cake heavenly!!
Old 02-01-2011, 04:32 AM

Sounds like a tempting one to make--thanks for sharing it!
Old 02-01-2011, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
Ohhhh, wish you had posted the recipe for that rum sauce. I bet it would make this cake heavenly!!
That is something that just about everyone in New Orleans did by memory. Buttered rum sauce was poured on cakes, put into drinks, and in dishes like candied yams or carrots. I can remember seeing it done, and hearing the discussion about buttered rum around my parents bridge or poker table. By the time I was on my own and started cooking, I had no money for rum, and didn't learn. Perhaps I'll look it up and try to learn, after all these years.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:04 AM

Yummy! I can't wait to try it! :)
Old 02-02-2011, 06:11 AM
Power Poster

Yum!
Old 02-06-2011, 07:07 PM

Made this today YUMMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

was a touchdown at our house!