Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting - Purpose? >

Quilting - Purpose?

Quilting - Purpose?

Old 02-05-2011, 11:39 AM

All you ladies are so much fun to read what you say & pics of your quilts & stuff!! I have found that most quilters also love God,gardening & animals. We are a special group. I am working on a 3rd auction quilt for where I work. UAMS has a yearly auction for their cancer research & it thrills me that I have used my talents to make $ for them in doing something I love so much. I have a question of my own, this quilt I am finished with now & would like to hand quilt using a varigated color thread since the back is purple & the top is orange, purple,lime green & black. Any suggestions on brands etc. Is it diffucult to use? Yhans for all your suggestions
Old 02-05-2011, 12:01 PM

A homemade quilt is a work of love. If I make one as a gift for someone it says I hope you are warm and comfortable. If I make it for me it keeps me warm and reinforces my self confidence. A homemade quilt will be a treasure for each of my daughters after I am gone. A scrappy quilt says that I conserve and am clever enough to make something beautiful from what I happen to have. I think this is why I make quilts. I hand quilt because I want to do it the old fashioned way (maybe to prove to myself that I can) and it keeps my hands occupied. :) :) :)
Old 02-05-2011, 12:04 PM

Most of my quilts are for family and me. I have a large family, I am one of 9. I try to make quilts for my nieces as they turn 21. Made on for my son and some just for my husband and me. Made 2 for Downy quilts for kids. I always have someone to quilt for.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:15 PM

I quilt because my great grand mother made quilts that we inhearited and I can not picture a home without one. My great neice lost her Dad 2 years ago when she was 17. Mom and Dad were divorced. He was a great Dad and raised her and her sister. Mom has nothing nice to say about him. We know diffrent. So this xmas I made her a quilt in his honor. SHE WAS THRILLED. iT WAS OF A FAN AND THE WRITING i QUILTED said My Dad My BIGGEST FAN
Old 02-05-2011, 12:36 PM

My quilts would never make a show but they are made to be used and loved by those I make them for. I like it when someone brings one back that needs to be repaired becaused it has been used to death. I have a 22 yr old GD that still has her baby quilt I made her. I had to make a new front but it is still on the quilt rack in her living room and even her freinds grab it when they are in front of the TV and my GD never travels without it.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:38 PM

My quilts would never make a show but they are made to be used and loved by those I make them for. I like it when someone brings one back that needs to be repaired becaused it has been used to death. I have a 22 yr old GD that still has her baby quilt I made her. I had to make a new front but it is still on the quilt rack in her living room and even her freinds grab it when they are in front of the TV and my GD never travels without it.
I will also add that my sewing machine has always been my thereapist.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:39 PM

For me its an obsession. I love to create them and design something that make some of the people I give them to very happy. I know mine will never win ribbons or anything but I hope one day to get good enough that they could. =)
Old 02-05-2011, 12:39 PM

Mine are made with love as I love quilting, colour and the person for whom each one is intended.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:40 PM

I would say all of the above. I am still learning and would never think I am of show quality, maybe someday. BUT, I am having so much fun and my DH is so supportive.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:47 PM

Mine is a dual purpose. I make them to help others and when they cover up with them, they will have a knowing in their heart they are loved and cared for, and the second purpose is to have a sense of completion, something I started and actually finished. It gives me a sense of worth.

Robert