Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaskasunshine's fabric folding( organizing your quilt room)

Banned
    What type of board are you using. It looks like the white matt board you can get at hobby Lobby.

I am sooooo impressed ! Great looking stash !

I know that you posted this quite a while ago, but I'm hoping you still keep up w/ it. What did you use for the boards? I'm sorry I got the size, but not what they were made out of. I love this idea though.
    Thank you
    Bev Ramsburg
    :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Wow, how organized and not only that, a person could get so much more fabric on shelves doing it this way. I might get my fabric out of boxes yet.

That was Great, Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cherylmae
    Wow, how organized and not only that, a person could get so much more fabric on shelves doing it this way. I might get my fabric out of boxes yet.
    Yes, you can get more on shelves. I ordered some of the boards from Cotilde and then when I re-read the original post I realized she had used sign board, but my husband and I figured there is not a great deal of difference in cost. But, I now have one whole shelf of fabric wrapped and stored and it looks great! Thanks so much for this idea.

wow!! some people are just a pure God sent!! Thankyou!! Keeing it simple!!

Banned
    just a weee lil hint for everyone. during election time most of the signs are made out of can you guess///// sign board and they are free... After the election Y'all.

What kind of material are you using to wrap the fabric? It looks like posterboard, but just wanted to check.

Thanks so much for the pictures. Could you give more information on the folding board material. I know you mention "sign board", but I am not sure what material to use to make the folding boards.

This is a VERY GOOD point. Thanks for the reminder.
    Quote Originally Posted by stewyscrewy
    just a weee lil hint for everyone. during election time most of the signs are made out of can you guess///// sign board and they are free... After the election Y'all.

Blog Entries
    be careful using the signs that have lettering on it.....it could damage your fabric

Quote Originally Posted by WVNana
    This is a VERY GOOD point. Thanks for the reminder.
    Quote Originally Posted by stewyscrewy

I have seen the clips before, like the one that holds my garage door opener to the visor. Where do you buy these?

Blog Entries
    Love your room!!!! that looks wonderful!

Blog Entries
    We have old foam boards at work...I was going to throw them out. Thanks for posting this...now I will be bring them home and use them for my fabric.
    Quote Originally Posted by luv2sew2
    I did the same thing. I went to the Dollar Tree and purchased foam boards for, yes, .99 cents. I cut them up and placed my fabrics as you demonstrated. It took me a month and just loaded them onto my shelves. I used rubber bands to secure the fabric. My problem is that I don't have them organized by color yet like you have yours. That's another project I need to do when I get a chance. Thanks for posting pictures, your sewing room looks awesome!

just about got mine done did start puting them in color order but didn't have enough room and xmas got in the way hope after the holidays I will get it finished you all have a merry Christmas

I'm in trouble! I have as many books as fabrics. Maybe I should wrap the fabric on the books!

I'm in trouble! I have as many books as fabrics. Maybe I should wrap the fabric on the books!

people tell me I have to many but always want to borrow themif yuo put the material on the books then you'll want use the book thats what would happen to me

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    We have old foam boards at work...I was going to throw them out. Thanks for posting this...now I will be bring them home and use them for my fabric.
    I did the same thing. I went to the Dollar Tree and purchased foam boards for, yes, .99 cents. I cut them up and placed my fabrics as you demonstrated. It took me a month and just loaded them onto my shelves. I used rubber bands to secure the fabric. My problem is that I don't have them organized by color yet like you have yours. That's another project I need to do when I get a chance. Thanks for posting pictures, your sewing room looks awesome!
    A word of caution***** the foam boards may not be acid free. If they are not then it could ruin your fabric!!! I used COROPLAST only!. have fun and happy folding!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskasunshine
    Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    I did the same thing. I went to the Dollar Tree and purchased foam boards for, yes, .99 cents. I cut them up and placed my fabrics as you demonstrated. ... I used rubber bands to secure the fabric.
    A word of caution***** the foam boards may not be acid free. If they are not then it could ruin your fabric!!! I used COROPLAST only!. have fun and happy folding!
    Another note, DO NOT use rubber bands.

piney

Quote Originally Posted by alaskasunshine
    1. Size of boards
    2. laying fabric
    3. folding fabric (have your fabric neat not wrinkled!) Have fold near you and selvedges away from you. Bring selvedges to the fold and firmly hand press to keep neat. The remainder of the fabric will be in a chait that is cloth so it doesn't slide around and off the chair. This is important! It took me a bit to realize I needed the fabric on a cloth chair. It works well and keeps the weight evenly distributed for ease of folding. LOTS of pictures to come! Pictures are 1-24
    I thought I would give your folding a try. My fabric is a mess and it is difficult to find things. Purchasing the plastic is not quite cost effective right now, so I'm using card stock and index cards. I absolutely love you idea and am so happy to have found it. My sewing room is only about 10 x10 and every inch is taken. But when I buy fabric and bring it home, it usually stays in the bag until I can figure out where to put it. Now with folding everything, even scraps, 44" and 60" materials can be done the same way. It is amazing and takes up so much less space! Thank you so much for sharing with the board. Will upload some of my pictures of my sewing room later with the material folded. Thanks again...

I did exactly as you did and they are wonderful! I'm not finished yet with wrapping everything I have but when I'm done I'll post pics. Thank you Kathy

So Cool!! I am a newbie, so I am going to implement this from the git go, thank you for sharing!
    David

Blog Entries
    I went to the dollar store and bought a bunch of foam borads. Cut them up and am using your examples to restructure my quilting studio. Txs.

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast