Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Basic Instructions for Boxes of Strings

Oooooo Angelia -- fabulous block, wonderful tute!
    When life gives you scraps, make a colorful happy quilt.

Blog Entries
    The tip of the Tri tool is actually not quite 60 degrees. A 60 degree triangle will have all three sides the same length. The one I used has a base and height that are equal, but the sloping sides are a little bit longer.

That's not to say a slightly different angle won't work--I just haven't tried it.

PS: For those who don't like cutting around cardboard templates, I traced around mine with a chalk pencil, and then I cut them (about 4 layers) with my quilting rulers.

PPS: Thanks, Judy!
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    I made my foundations out of scrap muslin instead of paper, I dislike removing papers. And, I had a stack of miscellaneous pieces of muslins , so it’s a double bonus, using up strings and foundation scraps. I love making a dent in those scraps.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

The Tri Rec Ruler is not a 60 degree angle. Not sure what it is, but it does have the correct ratio we want for this pattern. IE the bottom width is the same as the height. this is an Isosceles triangle. I've got lots of angle rulers so I should wander upstairs and figure out what it is.

Using the ruler with the degree markings on it, when I lay the tri recs on top, it's about 54 degrees.

I really like the elongated diamond shape. If you go with 60 degrees, you are going to get a square shape instead.
    Last edited by Macybaby; 03-20-2018 at 05:19 AM.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

Blog Entries
    I don't know what the angle is on the Kaleidoscope rulers but they might work - isn't it an isoscles triangle? Marti Mitchell and Dritz Quilt Sense make them.

Hmmmm ....I'll probably just make a plastic template from Angelia's pattern.
    Deb

I love it! I have to make it! Thanks for tute.
    Kindness matters

Jackie

I commented on this fabulous quilt when you first posted it, and am thrilled to see a tutorial for it. Thank you so much!!
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Blog Entries
    Wow! So cool

I'm going to dive in, too! I'm going to experiment with dryer sheets for the foundation since I hate to remove paper. I'm sure I can find some flimsy fabric to use if that doesn't work. Thanks, Angelina.

Blog Entries
    I spent my 3-day retreat last week sewing the strips to my pre prepped foundations. then it took me another 2 days at home to finish it. but it is done

Name:  20180423 front.bmp
Views: 440
Size:  1.25 MB

i started with solid triangles on telephone book pages cut to size.

Name:  20180423 foundation.bmp
Views: 440
Size:  1.10 MB
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T – is it True? H – is it Helpful? I – is it Inspiring? N – is it Necessary? K – is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    Great job! It is fun for me to see other's versions of this.

NY Adirondacks in Summer and goes "South" to WNY in the winter!
    What width do you cut the strips? Sorry if this was mentioned but I cam’t Find it

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry in the ADK View Post
    What width do you cut the strips? Sorry if this was mentioned but I cam’t Find it
    They are varied widths--from 3/4" to 2".

Well, I've kind of started mine. I was cutting the binding for a quilt and decided I'd just continue cutting some of the leftover fabric into 2" strips. So, those are nicely cut and neatly folded in a container that's called 2" scraps for Boxes of Strings quilt. As I finish a quilt, I take care of the leftover fabric and batting. What's usable in another project gets cut and placed where it belongs. Anything else that's too small to use gets cut up into scraps for dog beds (I have a pop-up hamper lined with a trash bag that I scoop all the scraps into). Yesterday, I was doing binding for 4 Project Linus quilts.....cutting the scraps of fabric and batting.....today, my wrist is numb! So, I've got a brace on, but think I'd better do one quilt at a time instead of doing cutting for most of the day. Oh well, lessons learned!

Blog Entries
    Thank you for sharing a great tutorial.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Great looking, nice change from the string quilts we have been making. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Dang, I used a equilateral triangle ( 4.5" on all three sides) while waiting for official instructions. Thank goodness I have lots of strings.....

Blog Entries
    Oh my gosh...this is incredible. I'm hosting a Fabulous Freebie blog hop in August. Can I make this and refer to your post for the pattern on my blog??? Of course that being said, I'd love to have you participate. Here's the link with the info. http://moosestashquilting.blogspot.c...d-new-hop.html

Blog Entries
    calicojoan--I sent you a PM.

Oh wow! I've been collecting "strings" and narrow strips wondering what I'd do with them....now I KNOW!!! Thank you so much.
    Kathy

A mind is like a parachute...it works best when open....

This is wonderful and might be the pattern I’ve been looking for for one of my sons. I’m pretty new to quilting still and have only played with fpp, are these papers a standard size that I can buy or what else do people use besides old phone books? I don’t have access to any old phone books anymore!
    “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
    ~Mahatma Ghandi

Quote Originally Posted by PamelaOry View Post
    This is wonderful and might be the pattern I’ve been looking for for one of my sons. I’m pretty new to quilting still and have only played with fpp, are these papers a standard size that I can buy or what else do people use besides old phone books? I don’t have access to any old phone books anymore!
    Here is a link to the forum's quilt along that has a bit more information on how each person is doing theirs. I used cheap muslin pre-washed and dried and cut the 4.5 x 8.5 base blocks, Didn't want to mess with paper, just my personal preference.
    This is a fun quilt to do and goes pretty fast.
    Have fun
    Murphy
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/quilti...g-t295603.html

I finished my wall hanging and am very pleased with it. I used dryer sheets for foundation and found it stiff to work on and of course, very aromatic! But I washed it when I was finished with the binding and it softened up and eliminated the smell. I don't know how to post but it looks much the same as those posted here.

Quote Originally Posted by sprice View Post
    I finished my wall hanging and am very pleased with it. I used dryer sheets for foundation and found it stiff to work on and of course, very aromatic! But I washed it when I was finished with the binding and it softened up and eliminated the smell. I don't know how to post but it looks much the same as those posted here.
    I’ve been saving the dryer sheets after I use them. There is still some aroma but they are much softer & easy to use.

I'm glad I looked at this -- when I first saw the Quilt Along picture I thought of diamonds. Triangles in rows will be much easier to set together!
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast