Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Card Tricks Block using stripes >

Card Tricks Block using stripes

Card Tricks Block using stripes

Old 10-22-2010, 07:01 PM

You are SO spot-on with those triangles and points! I don't think I'm quite ready for what you've done, but this is just a shout-out for the fantastic job you've done!
Old 10-24-2010, 12:28 PM

Does anyone have the copy of Quilters World August 2007 that originally showed this pattern? I would like to purchase one but QW's website doesn't offer it for sale.
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by patdesign
Does anyone have the copy of Quilters World August 2007 that originally showed this pattern? I would like to purchase one but QW's website doesn't offer it for sale.
Any help would be appreciated.
I just bought a copy of it on Ebay for 2.00. Check there for a it.
If you don't find it PM me.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Belles
Originally Posted by JenniePenny
Originally Posted by Belles

I hope to start on my first block this weekend, probably with the pink & brown that we both have since I know it turns out great! Belles
That pretty fabric has been around for a while. I remember my mother in law buying it for me in either 2007 or 2008. I didn't use the large flowers of that print. As you can see, I choose to just use the part of the design that looks like snowflakes and stripes. Towards the center of the block, the printing on the fabric doesn't match up precisely - they are the leaves or petals from the large flowers. Flowers are tricky. Sometimes border prints have sections that are symmetrical and sections that are not.

I was also wondering if you could separate the fabrics in photo 2 and take another picture or two? From what I see, they are blending together so it's hard to determine exactly which fabrics might work for you.
I'm very happy to separate the second group into group #3 & #4. Hopefully that will be easier for you to check over. I really, really appreciate your taking the time to help me and also giving hints on how to and what not to and what to look for. Based on just what you write for this board, you'll be an excellent instructor for the quilt shop. Thanks and here's #3 & #4. Belles
Hi Belles,
It looks like all fabrics in photo #3 will work.

In photo #4, the blue/brown paisley will give you some difficulty. I have something similar that I didn't use in the quilt. the paisleys are all facing, or 'traveling' the same direction.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:51 PM

[quote=JenniePennyHi Belles,
It looks like all fabrics in photo #3 will work.

In photo #4, the blue/brown paisley will give you some difficulty. I have something similar that I didn't use in the quilt. the paisleys are all facing, or 'traveling' the same direction.[/quote]

Thanks again. I believe I've enough fabrics to start on some blocks. Did you use the same fabric for many blocks? Especially since some of the fabrics have different patterns and colored stripes. I was going to make my sample block this weekend, but my 11 year old DGD came for a visit and wanted to 1) finish her patriotic wallhanging and 2) make her favorite cookies - Peanut Butter Pinwheels, so you know what activity I did over the weekend! But I will start on my first block since I LOVE your technique. Belles
Old 10-28-2010, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by fishnlady
Originally Posted by pjustice63
Have to say thank you for sharing this with us. Hope we can do the same for you.
Love, love your quilts.
I made a "Dazzling Dresden" which is basically made the same way. The results are unbelievably beautiful but so easy.

I would love to see a picture of your Dazzling Dresden.
I'm in Florida now. Not sure if I have a pic on my computer or not. Will send it if I do. Otherwise have to wait till xmas when I go back to Ky.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by fishnlady
Have to say thank you for sharing this with us. Hope we can do the same for you.
Love, love your quilts.
I made a "Dazzling Dresden" which is basically made the same way. The results are unbelievably beautiful but so easy.

I would love to see a picture of your Dazzling Dresden.
I'm in Florida now. Not sure if I have a pic on my computer or not. Will send it if I do. Otherwise have to wait till xmas when I go back to Ky.
Would love to see it also!
Old 10-28-2010, 02:43 PM

oh wow!! that is mind boggling ;)
I will never look at striped fabric the same again
Old 10-28-2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by bstanbro
When you said there is no shortcut for this, I wasn't sure whether you were referring to the use of stripes or the block itself. Actually, there is a shortcut for the block by Eleanor Burns. The pattern is called Winning Hand. I've made two of them and they are much easier than the Card Trick method:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-29503-1.htm

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-29504-1.htm
Can you give a brief explanation of how card trick pattern differs from winning hand pattern or technique?
Old 10-29-2010, 04:38 AM

[/quote]
Can you give a brief explanation of how card trick pattern differs from winning hand pattern or technique?[/quote]

The Winning Hand uses components that are squares and rectangles. You make simple 4-patch units for the centers of the blocks.

the Card Trick uses all triangles.

I drew the blocks for you. Look at the pen lines - this shows how the fabric pieces are cut.

Winning hand
[ATTACH=CONFIG]109964[/ATTACH]

card trick
[ATTACH=CONFIG]109965[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Attachment-109959.pdf (175.2 KB, 139 views)
File Type: pdf
Attachment-109960.pdf (167.8 KB, 141 views)